Is a homeowner liable to a guest who slips and falls at the home?
It depends on the way in which the accident took place. It also depends on whether or not the homeowner had made reasonable attempts to repair any areas in which someone could slip and fall. A homeowner has a duty to make certain that the premises are safe for guests.
If the homeowner is aware of such defects as a loose floorboard, a torn piece of carpet, or an uneven step that could be unsafe, the homeowner must repair the areas or warn guests to be cautious. The homeowner could argue that the guest failed to use reasonable care concerning his or her own safety. If it is determined that each party was at fault, the guest’s recovery may be reduced by his or her own negligence.
More Slip & Fall FAQs:
- Can a plaintiff succeed in a slip and fall lawsuit by proving that a building owner violated a building code?
- Can an employee file a lawsuit against an employer for a slip and fall accident?
- How are department stores and shopping malls liable for slip and fall accidents?
- How can a business be held liable for slip and fall accidents?
- How can a property owner be held liable to a trespasser?
- How can nursing homes be liable for slip and fall accidents?
- How can one build a strong slip and fall personal injury claim when dealing with insurance adjusters?
- How can owners of swimming pools be held liable for slip and fall accidents?
- How do slip and fall accidents affect the elderly?
- How does one prove liability in a slip and fall accident?
- In a slip and fall personal injury claim, what kind of photographic evidence is useful?
- Is a department store liable to a customer who slips and falls on the premises?
- Is a homeowner liable to a guest who slips and falls at the home?
- What are some of the more common types of slip and fall accidents?
- What if someone slips and falls on property owned by a close friend or family member?
- What is the definition of premises liability?
- What is the likelihood that the plaintiff may be held to be contributorily negligent?
- Who is liable if someone is injured from a slip and fall at a rental property?
- Who is Responsible for Florida Slip and Fall Injuries?