A cruise ship may be liable if you’re hurt on an excursion. However, the excursion company may be the first party your lawyer evaluates for liability, as their negligence may be the more direct cause of your injuries. Both parties share liability in some excursion injury cases.
A personal injury lawyer from our team will evaluate your case and establish liability for your injuries and damages.
A Key Question: Who Led the Excursion That Caused Your Injuries?
One of the first questions your attorney will consider is which institution oversaw your excursion. Often referred to as “shore excursions,” these on-land events may be the responsibility of the cruise line or a third party the cruise line contracted.
There are companies dedicated to providing shore excursions across the world. They work with cruise lines and may be solely or jointly liable for injuries that happen during the excursions.
When May a Cruise Line Be Liable for an Injury You Suffered During an Excursion?
Negligence is the standard for liability in any civil lawsuit, including lawsuits against cruise lines. While cruise lines attempt to insulate themselves from liability for excursion-related injuries with waivers and other legal protections, a waiver may not absolve a cruise line of negligence.
The cruise line may have been negligent if it:
- Contracted excursions with a company it knew had a history of allowing customers to suffer injuries
- Failed to do due diligence on an excursion company with a poor reputation, so was unaware that it had hired a negligent contractor
- Failed to warn cruise members of potential risks associated with excursions
- Failed to encourage cruise members with health conditions from participating in high-exertion excursions
- Engaged in any other activity that put the customer at an unacceptable risk of harm
If the cruise line failed to take protective steps that reasonable management from another cruise line would have taken in the same situation, it may be liable for your excursion-related damages.
When May a Third-Party Excursion Company Be Liable for Your Injuries?
The third-party excursion company is often liable when customers suffer injuries on its excursions. Like cruise lines, excursion companies often try to shield themselves from liability with waivers. However, the excursion company may not be able to hide behind a waiver if it:
- Did not provide clear information about what the excursion participants would face
- Did not warn of specific dangers, including health risks associated with the excursion
- Failed to instruct participants about how to respond in predictable dangerous situations
- Did not take basic measures to protect the participants from harm, such as issuing helmets on a four-wheeler excursion
- Hired employees who were unqualified to lead an excursion
The nature of the excursion often dictates the types of negligence that can cause injuries to the excursion participant. A personal injury attorneyfrom our team will review all the facts of your case and determine who is liable for your damages.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
Types of Cruise Ship Excursion Accidents That Can Cause Injuries
Just look through cruise lines’ websites, and you’ll encounter many excursions that can lead to predictable injuries, including:
- Excursions involving motor vehicles (such as open-air bus rides, four-wheeler adventures, and excursions that require point-to-point transport), which can result in motor vehicle accidents
- Water-related attractions (including theme parks and waterfall treks), which can cause slip and fall accidents and other harmful incidents
- Swimming excursions, which pose a risk of drowning accidents
- Cooking classes, which can pose a risk of burn injuries
- Horseback riding and other animal-related excursions, which may cause falls and animal attacks
- Hiking and other active adventures, which can lead to many different accidents and injuries
Virtually any cruise line excursion can lead to injuries if the cruise line or excursion company fails to honor their duties of care to the customer.
I Suffered Injuries During a Cruise Ship Excursion. What Should I Do?
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a running log of cruise ship incidents involving injuries, and our firm is intimately familiar with the injuries customers suffer during cruises. We seek justice for victims of negligence on cruises and excursions, so we encourage you to hire our team as soon as possible.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer Following a Cruise Ship Excursion Injury?
You may want hire a personal injury lawyer from our team because:
- You’re not prepared to lead your own case: Injuries and mental health problems often prevent accident victims from leading their own cases. We’re eager to help, and we’ll demand that liable parties pay the financial recovery you are entitled to obtain.
- We have experience and legal personnel: We are a family-oriented firm with years of experience in the personal injury space. We’re confident in taking on the largest of cruise lines.
- We require no upfront compensation: You will pay no upfront fee when you hire us. If we win, we get a fee. It’s that simple.
Focus on your health while our legal team fights for you.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's personal injury lawyers today
What Are Recoverable Damages in a Cruise Ship Excursion Injury Case?
We will identify your recoverable damages as we gather all available information about your case. The type of excursion accident you suffered may determine the severity of your injuries, and the severity of your injuries may determine the cost of your damages.
Damages we’ll consider when leading your case include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses (both domestic and abroad)
- Lost income
- Diminished earning power
Pain and suffering can refer to a number of damages, including physical pain, lost quality of life, depression, and sleep problems. Our attorneys can work with qualified medical and mental health professionals to identify and value excursion accident victims’ damages.
For a free legal consultation call (855) 529-0269
Call Today for a Free Consultation for Your Cruise Ship Accident Case
You work directly with partners Jason and Debi Chalik when you hire Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers. We’ve successfully represented many victims of cruise lines’ negligence, and we’re ready to fight for you.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers Today for your free consultation.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269