Yes, you can file a lawsuit against the company if you get into a car accident while in a taxi in Florida. In most cases, the company’s insurance company will pay for medical bills and other damages following an accident.
However, sometimes insurance companies try to deny claims or say they are not liable for your injuries. In these cases, you may choose to take your claim to court.
Before you reach that step, here are a few things you must understand about filing a claim against a taxicab company.
Taxi Company Responsibilities & Insurance Requirements in Florida
Taxicab companies have a responsibility to maintain reasonably safe vehicles. This means they must:
- Register all cabs with the state of Florida
- Carry insurance to cover damages caused by accidents, no matter who is at fault.
- Maintain their vehicles to a reasonable standard
- Make a reasonable effort to hire well-trained drivers who are not a danger to others on the road.
Florida law also requires taxicabs and limousines to carry specific amounts of insurance to protect their passengers, drivers, and vehicles in the case of a crash. This law supersedes Florida’s No-Fault laws, which apply to most non-commercial drivers.
This taxi insurance law requires every company to carry at least:
- $125,000 in bodily injury insurance per person
- $250,000 for each taxicab accident
- $50,000 in property damage liability coverage
In most cases, these insurance policies will cover your medical bills and other damages.
If the taxicab company fails to meet these standards, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover damages.
Protect Your Legal Rights After a Taxi Accident
Your first step after any car accident should be to ensure the safety of everyone, if possible. This includes calling an ambulance or 911 if necessary.
Your next step should be to protect your legal rights. Here is what to do after you are involved in a taxi accident.
- Seek medical care right away, even if your injuries seem minor. Let a medical professional determine if you need attention.
- Do not sign anything from the driver or one of their representatives. The taxi company or their insurance company may try to reduce their liability by having you sign a statement. Do not sign away your rights.
- Do not give a verbal statement to the taxi driver or their company or a representative.
- Do not attempt to determine who is at fault for the accident or share your suspicions to other witnesses or accident victims.
- If you are able, take photos of the accident scene and your injuries.
- After you have been cleared by a medical professional, consider contacting an accident attorney who can advocate for your rights. The taxi company and their insurance provider are not on your side.
Recovering Damages in a Taxi Accident Case
You may be able to recover a range of damages if you are injured in a taxicab accident. The exact damages you are eligible for will depend upon your injuries and the details of your case, however, the most common damages following an accident include:
- Medical bills, including hospitalization, prescription drug costs, and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages, including the loss of future paychecks if you experience long-term or permeant disability
- Pain and suffering you suffer as a result of the crash
- Personal property damages, including electronics or medical devices that are damaged by the accident.
Contact a Taxi Accident Attorney in Florida Today at 855-529-0269
If you were involved in a taxicab accident, you have the right to pursue damages from the taxicab’s insurance company. In some cases, you may be able to settle the claim outside of court.
However, if the company or their insurance company refuses to settle in good faith, you may take your claim to court where a judge or jury will decide the outcome of your case.
If you sustained injuries in a taxicab accident, a personal injury lawyer can help. At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we have the experience and knowledge to help you through this challenging process. Our partners work together to provide each of our clients with caring, dependable legal guidance through the personal injury process.
If you have been injured, we can help. Call us today at 855-529-0269 for a free evaluation of your taxi accident case.