If you are considering hiring an attorney or law firm that accepts cases on contingency, there are many benefits to signing this agreement. The purpose of this payment arrangement is to allow clients to hire an attorney without paying upfront costs or fees.
It also guarantees their Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorney will receive a percentage only if they win their case and recover financial compensation. The client and attorney must agree on the percentage the attorney will receive before the client signs a contract.
The benefits of contingency fee agreements include the following:
- You receive professional legal representation without paying your lawyer money.
- You won’t have to consider if you can cover your case’s costs. If you win your case, they will come out if you recover the financial settlement or court-ordered award.
- You won’t spend money or time on a case that won’t benefit you financially.
- You will know whether an attorney or law firm has an incentive to invest the time and resources into your case. They should be motivated to recover your maximum compensation.
How Contingency Agreements Allows Everyone to Pursue Legal Services
People who think they cannot afford to pay for a personal injury lawyer in Florida or elsewhere may want to consider a contingency fee arrangement. Overall, a major benefit is prospective clients can access legal services, regardless of their financial status.
It also grants them the confidence to know they can pursue an injury claim or lawsuit and that an attorney can apply the law to protect their rights and interests. While they take care of their health and well-being, their attorney can take care of their legal business.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
Why Do Personal Injury Attorneys Accept Cases on a Contingency Fee Basis?
Personal injury attorneys know that people recovering from accidents and injuries likely do not have money to pay up front for legal services. Accidents are unexpected events, so people are rarely prepared to cover their costs. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be able to hire legal representation despite suffering losses brought on by someone else’s negligence.
How Much Is a Contingency Fee Agreement?
You should talk with your attorney about the contingency fee that applies to your case, as it varies by the firm. Generally, however, this fee can range from 33%, per the American Bar Association (ABA). Some law firms may agree to a 40% or 45% rate.
You should ensure all details of your contingency agreement are in writing. You may still have to cover certain costs, such as court filing fees, whether you win or lose your case. As you discuss the provisional payment, you can ask an attorney about your financial obligations.
Things to Consider When Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney on Contingency
If you are considering hiring a lawyer or law firm on contingency, you should also consider other factors that are just as important. You can research or inquire about the following before signing an agreement:
- Their legal experience. You can ask about the lawyer’s practice areas and whether they have handled a case like yours. Ask about their knowledge of your case’s legal issues and how the law applies. You can review their case results, which should highlight the settlements and court-ordered awards they’ve won for past clients.
- Their reputation and client reviews. You want a reputable lawyer or firm in good standing to represent you on contingency. If their case results indicate success and past clients say favorable things about them, these are positives you decide.
- Their time commitment to your case. Many personal injury law firms and lawyers are busy leading other clients’ cases. Still, that doesn’t mean your legal matter isn’t a priority. You can ask about a lawyer’s caseload and the time you can expect them to devote to your legal matter. They should be able to manage your expectations about how long your case could take.
Ultimately, you must determine which lawyer or law firm is the right fit for you. You should ask as many questions as you need to get an idea of the working relationship with your legal representative. Researching the lawyer or the firm beforehand can make a difference.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's personal injury lawyers today
What Services Do Clients Receive Under a Contingency Fee Agreement?
After signing a contingency contract for legal services, you should receive any service required to resolve it. They should investigate the accident or incident, identify all liable parties who owe you compensation, lead settlement negotiation talks, and take your case to trial if they cannot settle it outside of court.
Cases vary by detail and circumstance, so no two cases receive the same legal care. You can expect your lawyer to develop a case strategy that addresses your case’s specifics, keep your case on track, and file your case on time to meet your state’s statute of limitations.
Compensation Personal Injury Lawyers Can Recover for Clients
The types of damages your injury attorney recovers for you will depend on your case, the severity of your injuries and losses, and your recovery time, along with other factors.
Common recoverable damages in personal injury cases can include any of the following:
- Medical expenses and rehabilitation costs
- Loss of income
- Lost or reduced earning ability
- Property damage (repairs and replacement)
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Impaired quality of life
Whether you have been in a motorcycle accident or a slip and fall accident, an attorney can work to recover these damages and others. For specific legal counsel, you can consult an attorney or law firm in a one-on-one consultation.
For a free legal consultation call (855) 529-0269
Talk to Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers About Your Case for Free Today
If you or a loved one suffered injuries or losses in an accident or incident, a personal injury attorney from our firm can review your legal options with you for free. We can also explain the benefits of a contingency fee agreement and how it can help you. We aim to make representation accessible and affordable.
We fight for our clients’ recovery and can take care of their entire case while they improve their health and well-being. Call us today for a free, no-risk consultation.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269