What Happens If Your Uber Driver Gets Into An Accident In Florida?
If your Uber driver gets into an accident in Florida, it is possible that they may be liable for your damages. Initially, we would seek compensation through your Florida no-fault insurance policy.
However, if your damages exceed the $10,000 maximum coverage allowable under a Florida no-fault policy, we would then seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Because Uber drivers work on a contract basis, Uber would generally not be liable for any damages.
Important Steps Following An Uber Car Accident
Protecting your legal rights following an Uber car accident is essential. Follow these important steps:
- Call for medical attention: The safety of everyone involved in the accident is the most important thing. Call for medical help immediately. Always receive medical care following a car accident. Many injuries do not show up until later, and by then, it can be difficult to connect them to the accident.
- File a police report: A police report may be critical to your case.
- Document everything: It is important to keep documentation of everything including medical bills, insurance communications, and witness contact information.
- Discuss your legal options with a lawyer: Rideshare accidents are very complicated. It is best to discuss your options with a lawyer as soon as possible.
Determining Fault In An Uber Car Accident
As a passenger, it is not always easy to determine who is at fault in a car accident. By collecting essential documents like the police report, witness statements, driving logs, and images and video evidence from the accident, we can place fault where it belongs.
Any of the following individuals could be at fault for your Uber accident:
- Uber driver
- Another driver
- The city
Both the state of Florida and Uber expect drivers to uphold their duty of care for your safety and wellbeing. If your Uber driver breaches that care and is negligent, then we may be able to collect compensation through their insurance. If the driver was not carrying insurance at the time of the accident, it is possible that we could recover damages through Uber’s insurance policy.
Examples of negligence that could lead to an Uber car accident include distracted driving, aggressive driving or road rage, failing to follow Florida’s driver laws, and driving under the influence of an illegal substance.
Recoverable Damages In An Uber Car Accident
Being the passenger in a car accident, you are subject to severe injuries including broken bones, spinal injuries, internal bleeding, traumatic brain injury, paralysis, and even death. If you lose a loved one in a Florida Uber accident, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim.
You are subject to the following damages in an Uber car accident:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and work benefits
- Property damages
- Temporary transportation
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Rehabilitation costs
The actual costs that you recover will depend on your injuries and the impact of the accident on your life. Some damages including medical bills and property damages may be recoverable under your Florida no-fault policy.
Other costs, however, like diminished earning capacity and pain and suffering would require that we file a third-party personal injury claim against the at-fault party.
Time Limits For Collecting Compensation In A Car Accident Case
It is important to keep in mind that we have a limited time to collect compensation for your Uber car accident damages. Florida limits the time we can file a car accident case to just four years after the date of the accident.
Additionally, to collect compensation from your own Florida no-fault policy, it is vital that we follow their requirements. Not meeting these strict deadlines can deem you ineligible for the compensation that you deserve.
Get Your Free Consultation With An Uber Car Accident Lawyer Today
You do not have to navigate a complicated Uber car accident on your own. It may seem like everyone is pushing off their liability, and in the meantime, you are dealing with expensive medical bills and time off of work.
We will never charge you any fees unless we also collect compensation on your behalf. You can get a free consultation with an Uber car accident lawyer today at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at 855-529-0269.
Additional Frequently Asked Questions
- Can You Sue Uber If They Get In An Accident In Florida?
- What is the Average Car Accident Settlement in Florida?
- Can Your Baby Suffer A Birth Injury From An Epidural Injection?
- Can You Seek Monetary Compensation If Your Child Suffers Cerebral Palsy During Birth?
- What kinds of defects prompt a tire recall?