Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the symptoms of a head injury may include:
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Concentration issues
- Anxiety and nervousness
- Changes in personality and demeanor
- Coordination problems
- Complications with short-term memory and/or long-term memory
- Mood changes (e.g., sadness)
- Other symptoms
If you have been in an accident, you may experience any of these symptoms afterward. People who suffer head injuries after an accident that someone else’s negligence caused can pursue compensation. This financial recovery can help cover medical bills, lost income, and other damages. You can work with a Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer to seek damages for a head injury.
How Head Injury Symptoms Can Diminish Your Quality of Life and Financial Security
People with head injuries may suffer physical pain and financial expenses linked directly to their injury. They also may be unable to carry out their regular responsibilities. More specifically, a head injury may:
Cause Medical Expenses
Those who suffer head injuries often require:
- Emergency medical attention
- A thorough physical examination
- Imaging services (including CT scans and X-rays)
- Hospital stays
- Doctor’s appointments
- Other medical services essential to their recovery
These medical services come at a potentially expensive cost.
Prevent You from Earning an Income
Many employees won’t be able to do their job while suffering a head injury. If you cannot work or must reduce your working capacity to accommodate your symptoms, you could:
- Lose income
- Miss chances for performance bonuses
- Lose progress toward promotions
- Lose earning power
- Suffer psychologically because you cannot work
Fort Lauderdale slip and fall accident lawyers have seen head injuries permanently alter a victim’s working ability. You may have to permanently limit your working hours, change jobs or careers, or stop working altogether because of your injury’s symptoms.
Cause Emotional and Psychological Distress (Which May Require Treatment)
Several symptoms of a head injury can be psychologically and emotionally draining, specifically:
- Adverse personality changes
- Sadness and depression
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Persistent fogginess
- Memory problems
- Sleep problems
These and other symptoms may impair your quality of life and create an unhealthy mental state. Those who caused your head injury may be responsible for these symptoms, collectively known as pain and suffering.
If you need medication, therapy, or other treatment for pain and suffering, an attorney can include the cost of your treatment in a personal injury lawsuit or insurance claim.
Cause Permanent Disability
Some head injuries cause permanent disability. If a brain injury or any other head injury is permanently disabling, the victim may:
- Be unable to earn a living for the remainder of their life
- Need assistance with housing, food, and other essentials
- Need a part- or full-time caregiver
- Experience pain and suffering for the rest of their life
A Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer can investigate your head injury symptoms and document the effects of your injury. They can seek financial recovery that reflects your hardship.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
How to Seek Compensation for Your Financial and Non-Financial Damages
Depending on how your head injury happened, you could receive compensatory damages through:
- An insurance claim
- A personal injury lawsuit
You do not have to seek compensation on your own. An attorney can work on your case, identifying liable parties, developing a strategy for pursuing your financial recovery, and executing it.
Accidents That May Entitle You to Compensation
A personal injury attorney can help clients who suffer head injuries during:
- Trip and fall accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Workplace accidents (including construction accidents)
- Boating accidents
If your head injury resulted from someone else’s negligence, liable parties should cover economic and non-economic damages. A lawyer can ensure you do not come out of your pocket for the cost of your head injury.
How a Head Injury Attorney Will Fight for Your Financial Recovery
If you want compensation for the effects of your head injury, a lawyer can do the following:
Establish Liability for Your Injury
An attorney can identify who is responsible for your head injury, which could be multiple parties.
Document Your Damages and Determine a Settlement Value
Your lawyer can document the damages you have suffered because of a head injury, which may include:
- X-rays, CT scans, and other images of your injury
- Official diagnoses of your head injuries and symptoms from a medical professional
- A mental health expert’s assessment of your pain and suffering
- Proof of lost income because of your head injury
- Other documentation of your economic or non-economic damages
This documentation and proof of the liable parties’ negligence can allow you to secure the financial recovery you deserve.
Manage Your Injury Claim or Lawsuit
An attorney can oversee your case and will:
- Coordinate with involved insurers, courts, and other parties
- Complete all case-related paperwork
- Provide essential documentation to insurers, civil defense lawyers, and courts
- Provide regular updates about your case’s status
Your attorney will assist with any steps you must take, such as providing your account of events to an insurance company.
Negotiate a Settlement Covering Your Head Injury’s Cost
A law office can negotiate a settlement with insurers or any other party that owes you compensation.
Complete Your Trial
An attorney can prepare your head injury case for trial and file your paperwork. They will keep your case on track, ensuring you meet all important deadlines.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's personal injury lawyers today
Talk to Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers About Your Head Injury Today for Free
A head injury can cause significant suffering and financial hardship. You may be able to recover compensation to ease the financial and non-economic effects of your injury, and a personal injury lawyer from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers will fight for the money you deserve.
Do not wait to contact our team; we may have a brief time to file your case. Florida Statutes § 95.11 generally gives injured parties two years to file a personal injury. Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269