Yes. If you contracted a nail or other dermal infection, you may have grounds to sue the nail salon for negligence. Nail salons must abide by disinfection standards set by the state to practice on patrons. Failure to maintain proper hygiene between services can put people at risk of biological hazards, which can lead to infection and other injuries.
If you or a loved one suffered side effects after receiving nail services, you may want to consider contacting our law firm to have your case reviewed. You could have grounds to demand compensation for your treatment costs as well as other damages. Our law firm serves people in Florida and has won settlements and verdicts for nail salon victims, so we can have a nail salon infection attorney represent you on your legal pursuit.
Patrons May Get Exposed to Biological Hazards in Nail Salons with Poor Hygiene
Nail salons and similar businesses that deal with people’s skin and hair are a hotbed for fungal infections because of residue people leave behind after each service, such as skin flakes, grime and dirt underneath toenails, and even bodily fluids like blood or fecal matter. As such, these businesses must clean their working environments between each service so that patrons are not subject to cross-contamination.
Yet, despite hygiene standards in place, Very Well Health notes that people are still at risk of contracting several types of infections, such as:
- Paronychia, which is a bacterial infection that occurs on or around the nail bed
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which is another type of bacterial infection that can be transferred through an open wound
- HPV virus, which can cause warts on the hands and feet
- The common cold and influenza
- Bloodborne diseases, such as hepatitis B and HIV
Nail technicians must also be careful with the chemical products they use on patrons, as improper technique can lead to patrons developing allergies to acrylic gel nail products. TIME Magazine issued a report that found a rise in people developing allergies to gel and acrylic products, noting that lack of proper UV curing may be the main cause.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
Nail Salons Must Abide by the Disinfection Laws of Their State
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) provides an online guide to nail salon workers so that they can safely perform their jobs and protect themselves and others from harm. However, OSHA notes that nail salon businesses must abide by state standards on disinfection. With that, if you intend to file legal action against a business for improper hygiene practices, you or your legal team will have to confirm the health codes of your state.
For example, in Florida, nail salons must abide by 61G5-20.002, which mandates that:
- Salons must use soap and water to clean all tools before placing them in disinfectant chemical solutions.
- Salons must have an adequate number of supplies to allow staff to disinfect tools properly between servicing patrons so that no tool is used on more than one patron between each disinfection.
- Salons must use EPA-approved disinfectants, hospital-level chemical solutions, and ultra-violet irradiation boxes to clean tools.
- Salons must disinfect pedicure basins between each use and must clean parts of the whirlpool basin every day at the end of the day as part of the protocol.
- All disinfection procedures must be recorded in a log book that the salon keeps for inspection purposes.
Our legal team would investigate the nail salon you received services at to determine if it complies with state standards. If not, they may be held liable for your injuries due to negligent business practices.
Our Law Firm Helped a Client Win $150 Million in Damages
At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we advocate for people in Florida who have suffered injuries because of poor nail salon hygiene. Recently, our firm won a $150 million settlement for one of our clients, Sarai Ayemperoumal, who suffered rash, infection, and other severe symptoms after getting an acrylic gel manicure at Paradise Nails, a nail salon in Fort Myers.
When representing our client, we calculated the cost of her medical expenses since she had to go to the emergency room, dermatological specialists, and other medical facilities on several occasions to treat her symptoms. Yet, with each case we take on, compensation totals are not solely based on our clients’ treatment expenses but can also factor in the emotional and mental suffering they endured from their injuries.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's personal injury lawyers today
What Kind of Damages Can You Claim in a Nail Salon Infection Case?
If you contracted a nail or other dermal infection as a result of getting services at a nail salon, you may qualify to pursue compensation via an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. These types of cases allow you to demand financial awards for various damages, such as:
- Medical treatment expenses
- Lost income while getting treatment or recovering from your injuries
- Permanent disability, such as suffering an infection that causes you to lose an extremity (e.g., a finger)
- Physical disfigurement, such as suffering chemical burns from nail salon products
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering and general inconvenience
- Diminished quality of life if you developed an allergy from the infection that now prevents you from using certain products
In worst-case scenarios, an untreated infection can even be fatal, as infections can produce high fevers, problems with breathing, and anaphylactic reactions. If you lost a loved one as a result of a nail salon infection, you or your family may pursue wrongful death damages, such as funeral expenses or loss of consortium.
For a free legal consultation call (855) 529-0269
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to Get a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one contracted an infection as a result of receiving services at a nail salon, you may qualify to file a claim or lawsuit against the business to recover your damages. Our law firm serves clients all throughout the state of Florida.
If you are interested in our legal services, we offer to give you the first consultation for free to go over your case and discuss strategies to pursue compensation. You’ll be able to work directly with our head attorneys and truly share your story. Call now to speak with one of our team representatives today. When you hire a personal injury lawyer from our firm, we fight for you like you’re part of our family.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269