Per the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine (JCSM), Philips CPAP machines can cause weight gain. That’s because the machine alters users’ basal metabolic rate (BMR), leading to a slower metabolism and increased weight gain.
And that’s not all. In June 2021, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) noted that Philips recalled many of its CPAP machines, stating that pieces of the mask could break apart and lodge in users’ airways. For that reason alone, many people are suing Philips, noting that because it released an unsafe product onto the market, it put users at risk of harm.
Why does Philips CPAP Cause Weight Gain?
Scientists aren’t exactly sure why CPAP machines cause weight gain in some users. The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine argues that Philips CPAP machines, in combination with poor diet and low exercise, cause weight gain – not the machine itself.
The publication argues that CPAP machines are not the final solution for sleep apnea. Doctors must help patients make lifestyle modifications to lessen the condition’s symptoms and understand the condition itself.
Weight Gain Can Lead to Adverse Health Effects
Your body relies on its metabolism to burn fat and convert it into energy. However, a Philips CPAP machine can impede this process, leading to weight gain over a certain period.
While there’s nothing wrong with carrying a few extra pounds, substantial weight gain can cause:
- Shortness of breath
- Depression and other mental health issues
- Heart problems, including congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure
If you suspect that your Philips CPAP machine is causing you to gain weight, talk to your doctor. They can provide more information about your condition and what can help you.
Can I Sue Philips If Its Product Caused Me to Gain Weight?
It depends. If you can prove that you used a CPAP machine and it negatively affected your health, you can file a claim or lawsuit against Philips.
That’s what many people are doing across the United States – but not because of weight gain. Instead, they allege that CPAP machines cause cancer and other life-threatening complications.
If you or a loved one suffered harm after using a Philips CPAP machine, you may qualify for compensation. Our lawyers can examine your case and explain your legal options at no cost.
What CPAP Machines did Philips Recall?
As noted, in June 2020, Philips voluntarily recalled many of its products from the market. This was after multiple claimants alleged that the machine caused adverse health conditions. Philips recalled these machines:
- DreamStation Go
- A-series BiPAP machines
- REMstar SE Auto
- OmniLab Advanced+
However, there could be other CPAP machines still available that cause harm.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
You Could Recover These Damages if You Suffered Harm From a CPAP Device
If you or a loved one suffered adverse health effects from using a Philips CPAP machine, you can seek these damages:
- Medical expenses. As noted, Philips CPAP machines can lead to weight gain, lung cancer, and other conditions. You may need treatment for these ailments, and compensation can account for medications, surgeries, and hospital stays.
- Lost wages. While undergoing treatment, you may have missed time from work. Our firm can seek financial recovery for lost tips, bonuses, commissions, and other employment-related benefits.
- Loss of future earning capacity. A serious health condition could permanently affect your earning ability. We can assess your situation and assign value to this expense.
- Pain and suffering. This expense pays for the hardships you endured after getting hurt. Florida does not cap how much you can seek for pain and suffering.
- Disability. A permanent disability can transform your quality of life. Our lawyers can seek recovery for this hardship, as well.
- Funeral expenses. Compensation for funeral expenses includes burial, funeral, cremation, and embalming costs.
Why Partner with Our Firm on Your Philips CPAP Case?
Philips, like all product manufacturers, must test products before releasing them to the public. When a company fails in this obligation, injured claimants can hold them responsible.
Philips is a billion-dollar company teeming with aggressive corporate lawyers. After filing your claim or lawsuit, these lawyers might blame you for your condition – or otherwise deny liability. With our team on your side, we can:
- Pursue compensation for your injury-related losses
- Prove the connection between your condition and the CPAP machine
- Consult with healthcare professionals about your condition
- Negotiate a settlement
- File your product liability lawsuit
Our law firm can handle anything your case requires. We’ve filed multiple lawsuits against high-profile corporations (including Ford and Bridgestone) with positive outcomes.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's personal injury lawyers today
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers for More Information
Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers is a family-owned law firm with decades of experience. We’ve been featured on Inside Edition, Dateline, CNN, and USA Today. Let our legal family help your family during this challenging time.
To explore your legal options, connect with our firm today at (855) 529-0269.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269