Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale is a popular departure station for cruise ships. People from all over the world board cruise ships to visit the Caribbean, Latin America, Europe, and other far-off destinations. Yet, what might have been a planned vacation from Florida can quickly become an emergency when someone gets into an accident onboard the ship.
If you or a loved one recently suffered an injury while traveling aboard a cruise ship, you might be able to pursue compensation for damages. Our cruise ship accident lawyers at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers serve people in Fort Lauderdale and surrounding Florida cities. Our personal injury lawyers can investigate your case and build an insurance claim or lawsuit against the appropriate party. You can discuss your options during a free consultation.
Premises Liability Cases Include Cruise Ship Accidents Like Slips and Falls
Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers handles various premises liability cases, including cruise ship accidents. Passengers and others can hold a cruise line liable for injuries on its vessels. Cruise ships can be seen as floating buildings filled with businesses, restaurants, and activity centers to entertain guests. However, with plenty of options also come plenty of risks.
Common accidents that can occur aboard cruise ships include:
- Slip and fall accidents: Wet deck floors, spills at buffet areas, and wet areas near pools and water activity areas can cause slip and fall injuries.
- Falling overboard: Sudden ship movements can accidentally cause people to fall over rails into the ocean or other cruise ship decks.
- Elevator and escalator accidents: This can include being stuck in elevators, falling down escalators, or getting objects/clothing caught in an escalator or elevator cracks, leading to injury.
- Pool area injuries: This can include drowning injuries, head injuries from hitting pool floors/walls, and infections contracted from contaminated waters.
- Food court accident injuries or illness: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns that people can contract acute gastrointestinal illnesses like norovirus by touching contaminated surfaces (e.g., buffet counters) or consuming contaminated food or water.
- Spa-related accidents and injuries: This can include allergic reactions from products used on your skin or hair, chemical burns caused by improper product techniques, and heat exhaustion if left in saunas for too long without supervision.
Contracting diseases, such as coronavirus, can also occur if staff members do not clean the ships properly to avoid the spread of illness. People can become ill in areas where bodily fluids may exist, such as gyms where people sweat or gather frequently, such as in retail stores on the ship.
Find a Fort Lauderdale Cruise Ship Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (954) 476-1000
You May Be Owed Compensation for Various Damages After a Cruise Accident
If you suffered an injury or contracted an illness while staying on a cruise, you may have grounds to sue the cruise line for negligence and pursue compensation. A Fort Lauderdale cruise ship accident attorney from our team can pursue the following damages:
- Medical treatment expenses
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Lost income, including future lost wages if you have a long-term or permanent injury or illness
- Reduced earning potential
- Emotional distress
- Reduced joy in former hobbies and activities, such as travel, swimming, or vacationing
- Diminished quality of life
- Property damage, such as stolen items from your cabin or person
You may qualify for other damages not listed here, depending on your case. During strategy sessions with you, we will ask you questions on how your injuries affected you and your life, then calculate a compensation goal to pursue based on those damages.
Chalik & Chalik Cruise Ship Accidents Lawyer Near Me (954) 476-1000
Surviving Families May Be Eligible to File a Wrongful Death Action
If you lost a loved one because of a cruise ship accident, you or another qualifying family member may qualify to file a wrongful death action and demand compensation for additional damages related to your loved one’s unexpected death. These damages may include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of consortium or companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of inheritance
- Medical debts you now must pay to cover your loved one’s expenses
Our legal team can manage your case as you handle personal decisions. We’ll update you when necessary so that you can take time to grieve privately.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Cruise Ship Accidents Lawyer today
Our Fort Lauderdale Injury Attorneys Can Build Your Cruise Ship Accident Case
When you work with a personal injury attorney at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, our legal team sets your case in motion and provides you with several services. We prepare our clients’ cases for the entire litigation process, whether we reach a verdict in court or negotiate a settlement for you privately.
Throughout your legal journey, we will provide the following services:
- Case investigation, which allows us to confirm key facts of your case, collect evidence to support your claims, and potentially contact witnesses to testify on your behalf
- Administrative services, which can range from preparing legal paperwork for you to organizing hearing dates for your case
- Communication services, which help us protect your case whenever insurance adjusters, legal attorneys, or court officials reach out to you for statements about the cruise ship accident
- Legal representation, which your attorney provides in all aspects of your case—not just in court
- Legal counsel, which can help you make informed case decisions
Should you have additional questions about our services, one of our team representatives can go into more detail in a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Fort Lauderdale, call (954) 476-1000
A Statute of Limitations Deadline Gives You 1 Year to File Your Case
If you want to move forward with an injury lawsuit about your cruise ship accident, you must abide by the statute of limitations of your case. Maritime law applies to cruise ship accident cases, so plaintiffs have one year from the accident date to file their cases, per 46 USC § 30526.
Failure to comply with this legal deadline could put your case at risk of dismissal. Once a judge dismisses your case, you cannot pursue compensation through the legal system. As such, we recommend starting your case as soon as possible to help ensure we can meet all deadlines.
Call Us Today to Hire a Fort Lauderdale Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer
At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we help cruise ship accident victims in Fort Lauderdale have their stories heard. If you or a loved one suffered an injury while traveling on a cruise ship from Fort Lauderdale, you could demand compensation for your injuries and damages.
A cruise ship accident lawyer from our firm can represent you, which will involve preparing your case. You can get a free case review by calling us or visiting our contact page. Our team member will speak with you and answer any questions you might have about your case. From there, we can start building your case right away.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (954) 476-1000