No two slip and fall injury or wrongful death cases are the same. There is no blanket answer that suffices for the question of whether slip and fall cases are difficult to win — they’re all different. With this in mind, working with a lawyer when crafting a slip and fall case offers several benefits, regardless of the circumstances under which your slip and fall accident occurred.
How Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Slip and fall accidents can occur at virtually any time, in any location, affecting any victim. There are some common circumstances where slip and fall accidents can occur, and oftentimes these places and circumstances surrounding slip and fall accidents involve negligence.
Some hazards that increase the likelihood of a slip and fall accident include:
- Wet or icy floors
- Failure to implement handrails on steps and other descending or ascending gradients
- Failure to implement proper precautions in dangerous work environments such as construction sites and factories
- Failure to implement full safety precautions in nursing homes or other locations where the elderly live
These are just a few of the more common examples of possible negligence that could lead to a slip and fall accident. There are countless other circumstances under which a slip and fall accident can lead to serious injury or death, often because somebody failed to exercise proper caution.
Know Who Is at Fault in A Slip and Fall Accident
Are slip and fall cases hard to win? When slip and fall accidents cause injury or death, it is important to know if somebody’s action or inaction contributed to dangerous conditions that caused the accident.
Some possible defendants in a slip and fall case may include:
- Business owners
Each of these groups of people owe some level of protection, whether it is to patrons, employees, tenants, or residents of a town or city. Negligence can look like a business owner who fails to promptly clean up a puddle on a shopping aisle, or a township that does not salt icy sidewalks during the dead of winter.
Negligence that leads to slip and fall injuries or death can take many forms. Regardless of what negligence looks like in your case, consider the value of employing a lawyer when it comes time to pursue any compensation that you are eligible for.
A Lawyer Can Help You Pursue Damages After a Slip and Fall Accident
Lawyers can handle all of the legal responsibilities of your case while you focus on recovery or grieving. Some of the duties that a lawyer will fulfill include:
- Interviewing you and documenting your account of how the accident occurred, including the negligent circumstances that put you or your loved one in danger
- Initiating legal action promptly to ensure that your case falls within the statutes of limitation for personal injury or wrongful death claims in Florida, which are generally four and two years, respectively
- Interviewing eyewitness to the accident or the circumstances that caused the accident, and documenting their accounts for use at trial or in settlement negotiations
- Speaking with your medical professional to determine the extent of your injuries and how that translates into damages
- Handling all legal responsibilities necessary to bring your case to a judgment or settlement
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
One of your lawyer’s foremost responsibilities will be to show the court that the defendant in your case acted negligently. They will do this through a four-step process that includes:
- Showing that the defendant owed you a duty of care
- Establishing that the defendant breached that duty of care through some negligent action
- Establishing a link between their negligent act and the cause of your injuries
- Calculating and lobbying the court for financial damages to be paid to you
If you receive a favorable judgment or reach a settlement then you may be entitled to collect compensation for your losses.
Possible Compensation in a Slip and Fall Case
Are slip and fall cases hard to win? Each slip and fall case is unique, and there is no guarantee of any specific awards. With that said, some common awards in these sort of cases cover:
- Emergency transportation from the scene of your accident
- The cost of any emergency care administered in the wake of the accident
- Any hospital stay, diagnostic tests, scans, or other procedures just after your accident
- Long-term rehabilitation required because of your injuries
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity caused by the accident and your resulting injuries
- The cost of transportation to rehab appointments
- Long-term disability
- Psychological therapy required because of the accident
If yours is a wrongful death claim, you may be eligible for compensation covering additional costs, such as:
- Funeral costs
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of future income and financial protection
Call Our Team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers Today
We offer our clients honest, personal representation as we pursue the awards that you are eligible for. Call us today at (855) 529-0269 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation, call (855) 529-0269