Motorcycle accidents have been known to produce life-changing injuries. If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and someone else is liable, you may have the right to pursue legal action against them.
However, when you are still recuperating from your injuries, you may need an aggressive legal advocate ready to build your case on your behalf.
Contact a respected Orlando motorcycle accident lawyer at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers for a free consultation, so we can further discuss what’s next for your motorcycle accident claim.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
After your motorcycle accident in Orlando, you may be feeling intimidated and overwhelmed. Even if you have previously been involved in a motorcycle accident in the past, you may still not be sure how to proceed.
Here are the steps you should take immediately following an Orlando motorcycle accident:
- Step 1. Call emergency responders – Even if you believe that you might have suffered only minor injuries, it is important that you be evaluated by a medical professional. Untreated injuries could be devastating to your health, and failure to obtain medical care immediately after a motorcycle accident could have an adverse impact on your ability to recover compensation in your insurance and civil claims.
- Step 2. Document the scene – While you are waiting for healthcare providers and police to arrive, you should attempt to document the scene of the accident if you can. Of course, if your injuries are too severe, be sure to wait for a medical professional to evaluate you. However, if you can take photos of your injuries, the scene, obtain witness contact information, and other time-sensitive, valuable evidence, it could prove to be essential to your case.
- Step 3. Contact your motorcycle accident lawyer – Once you have been cleared by your healthcare provider, you should reach out to your motorcycle accident attorney in Orlando as soon as possible. The sooner you get your lawyer working on your case, the more likely it is that you can secure the compensation that you need to rebuild your life.
Find a Orlando Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (407) 420-9838
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Orlando
For your attorney to successfully recover damages in your case, we will need to be able to show that another party’s negligence or misconduct was the cause of your motorcycle accident injuries. Motorcycle accidents in Orlando can occur in many ways. However, some of the more common causes of motorcycle accidents, and their respective liable parties, include:
Reckless or Negligent Driving
The most common cause of motorcycle accidents in Orlando is unsafe or negligent driving. Negligent driving can take many forms. More often than not, motorcycle accidents are caused by drivers who are engaging in unsafe driving practices, such as:
- Distracted driving
- Following too closely
- Failure to yield
- Failure to stop
- Failure to use a turn signal
- Drowsy driving
- Drunk driving
- Drugged driving
- Making illegal turns
- Road rage
Dram shops refer to establishments that sell or serve alcohol. This might include restaurants, bars, nightclubs, grocery stores, gas stations, and other places that have a license to serve alcohol. These establishments are prohibited from serving or selling alcohol to individuals who are already under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
With that being said, it is more common than you might think for these places to break the law and sell or serve alcohol anyway. When this happens, if you suffer serious injuries due to a consumer’s drunk driving, the drain shop may also share liability for your injuries.
Reckless drivers and dram shops are not the only parties who could share fault for your motorcycle accident injuries. There are many other parties who could share blame depending on the specific details of your case.
For example, if your motorcycle, or the vehicle that struck you, malfunctioned in some way, then parts distributors, parts designers, auto technicians, dealerships, and other parties could all share liability.
There is also the question of who is liable when your injuries are caused by unsafe or dangerous roads. The government agencies responsible for maintaining the safety of these roads could be named as a liable party in your motorcycle accident claim if their negligence contributed to your injuries.
Your lawyer will need to carefully examine the details of your case to determine who should be named in your motorcycle accident claim.
Chalik & Chalik Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me (407) 420-9838
Florida Motorcycle Accident Laws
There are several motorcycle accident laws that could have an impact on your ability to recover maximum compensation in your case. These include:
- The statute of limitations – Under Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a), motorcycle accident victims will only have approximately four years before the statute of limitations expires. This means, for most cases, you will have up to four years after the accident to get your claim filed. If your lawsuit is not filed before the statute of limitations runs out, you will no longer be able to seek compensation in the Florida civil court system.
- Florida’s pure comparative negligence statute – Under FL Stat § 768.81, sharing fault does not prohibit you from collecting compensation. However, if you share fault for your motorcycle accident injuries, you can expect your injury settlement to be reduced by your portion of fault. For example, if you are five percent liable for your injuries, expect your motorcycle settlement to be reduced by five percent as well.
These are only a couple of the laws that could dramatically impact your opportunity to get the most out of your claim. Be sure to contact your motorcycle accident lawyer in Orlando for help if you have concerns that your injury settlement could be affected.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer today
Compensating Motorcycle Accident Victims in Orlando
After your Orlando motorcycle accident, you have the right to be made whole. You should be compensated for every way your life has been turned upside down by your injuries. You have the right to recover economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Mental anguish
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost income
- Diminished earning potential
- Lost quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of household services
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Orlando, call (407) 420-9838
Meet with an Orlando Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Your motorcycle accident may have been traumatic. But with the right legal help and support, your future may be looking brighter. Get help recovering maximum compensation for your damages.
Reach out to an experienced Orlando motorcycle accident lawyer at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to find out what your case could be worth. Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation when you call our law firm at (407) 420-9838.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (407) 420-9838