Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that Florida drivers report driving after drinking at rates higher than the national average.
If you were injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. An Orlando drunk driving accident lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can help you pursue this compensation at no upfront cost.
Is a Drunk Driver Responsible for an Accident?
A driver can be held responsible for an accident if he or she drives in a way that disregards the safety of others and puts them at risk of harm. Drunk driving undoubtedly puts others at risk, so drunk drivers who cause an accident can be held legally liable for any accident-related expenses.
Find a Orlando Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (407) 420-9838
How Much is My Drunk Driving Case Worth?
Since every case is different, there is no simple way to say how much yours is worth off-hand. Most of the time, accidents that cause severe injuries or extensive property damage result in higher damages.
Our lawyers will evaluate your case and document your injuries, property damage, and reduced quality of life to estimate how much compensation you should receive.
You may be entitled to:
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage
Florida drivers are required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) coverage, according to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). PIP provides up to $10,000 in reasonable and necessary medical expenses, no matter which driver caused the accident.
While PIP will compensate you for some of your expenses, you may quickly exceed this coverage if your injuries are severe and require extensive treatment. You can sue the at-fault driver for medical expenses in excess of $10,000 and for other types of damages.
Economic Damages for a Drunk Driving Accident
You can seek economic damages for tangible losses caused by the accident, such as:
- Medical bills
- Ongoing medical care
- Medical equipment
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Property damage
Non-Economic Damages for a Drunk Driving Accident
You can seek non-economic damages for intangible losses caused by the crash, such as:
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Physical pain and suffering caused by your injuries
- Mental anguish
- Reduced quality of life
Wrongful Death Damages for a Drunk Driving Accident
Drunk driving accidents can claim the lives of drivers, passengers, and other road users. For example, theOrlando Sentinelreports that a Florida woman under probation for DUI manslaughter is accused of DUI manslaughter again after an April accident. While the driver suffered minor injuries, three of her passengers were injured, one fatally.
Florida Statutes § 768.21 outlines which family members of the deceased can file a wrongful death case and the types of damages they may seek.
If your loved one passed away in the drunk driving accident, you can request compensation for:
- Loss of support and services, including lost future income and the value of lost household services
- Medical expenses for treatment your loved one received before passing away
- Funeral expenses such as fees for embalming or cremation, casket, burial plot, memorial service, flowers, transportation, and more
- Loss of companionship and protection for the surviving spouse
- Loss of parental companionship, instruction, and guidance for surviving minor children
Chalik & Chalik Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer Near Me (407) 420-9838
Benefits of Working with a Personal Injury Lawyer at Our Orlando Office
For many people, dealing with the aftermath of any accident is stressful. If you are seriously injured or lost a loved one in the accident, the process may be even more difficult. Our lawyers can take over the burden of dealing with the at-fault driver and his insurance company so that you can focus on your recovery.
We can guide you through the complicated process of seeking damages from the at-fault driver after a drunk driving accident in Orlando. Here are some ways we can help you:
- Investigate your accident: We will determine who caused your accident by collecting evidence such as the breathalyzer results and other toxicology reports, eyewitness statements, police reports, traffic camera footage, and more.
- Estimate the value of your damages: We will use your medical bills and records, past wage statements, vehicle repair or replacement bills, and interviews with your doctors to estimate how much your damages are worth.
- Handle the insurance process: We will file a claim and submit supporting documents for you as well as take over any communication with the insurance provider.
- Negotiate a settlement: We will negotiate a settlement that provides you with fair compensation.
- Dispute your case in court: While both parties often prefer to settle out of court, we can seek compensation through litigation if we cannot agree on a fair settlement.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer today
Our Team Has a History of Success
Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers has a successful history of fighting for personal injury victims. Here are a few examples of our results:
- $1 million settlement for an automobile accident fatality
- $475,000 settlement for a client who required back surgery after an automobile accident
- $103,000 settlement for a client who suffered a head injury after an automobile accident
You can expect our lawyers to work hard to obtain the best possible results for you.
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Orlando, call (407) 420-9838
File Your Drunk Driving Lawsuit Before the Florida Deadline
If you were hurt in an Orlando drunk driving accident, Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a) usually gives you two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you lost a loved one, Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d) gives you two years from the date your loved one died to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If you wait too long, you forfeit your right to sue.
In some cases, Florida allows exceptions to these deadlines. Our lawyers will go over your case to make sure you file your lawsuit on time.
Our Lawyers Can Represent You After a Drunk Driving Accident
If you were injured or lost a loved one in an accident caused by another person’s drunk driving in Orlando, you may be entitled to damages for medical expenses and more.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today at (407) 420-9838 for a free case consultation. We work on contingency, so we take no payment unless we win your case.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (407) 420-9838