Orlando’s climate and surrounding lakes and rivers make it an excellent location for boating. However, wherever watercraft, swimmers, fishers, and others come together on the water, there is a potential for accidents.
Unfortunately, many “accidents” are not accidents at all. They are the direct result of someone’s poor choices or negligent actions. If you or your loved one suffered injuries in a boating accident, Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers could hold the responsible party financially liable for your damages.
You have enough on your plate with your injuries. Let our Orlando boating accident lawyers do the work required to build your case and secure the compensation you need and deserve.
Types of Injuries That Occur in Boat Accidents
Boating is a popular activity in Orlando and throughout Florida. In fact, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, there were more than 1 million registered vessels in the state in 2021. Sadly, during that same year, the commission received around 470 reports of boating accident injuries and confirmed 60 boating accident fatalities. Reported injuries include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Back injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Loss of a limb
- Spinal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Internal injuries
- Teeth and jaw injuries
If you or a loved one sustained harm in an accident on Lake Heart, Lake Jessamine, Clear Lake, or any other waterway in or around Orlando, our boating accident attorneys can assist you with a personal injury case. We will take care of your legal issues so that you can focus on your recovery.
Find a Orlando Boating Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (407) 420-9838
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
According to the United States Coast Guard, the top five types of boating accidents involve:
- Collisions with a recreational vessel
- Collisions with a fixed object
- Falling overboard
To truly understand why boating accidents occur, you must also consider the underlying causes, which are often related to operator negligence. The Coast Guard identifies the top primary contributing factors to accidents, which include:
- Operator inattention and inexperience
- Improper lookout
- Excessive speeding
- Alcohol use
- Navigation rules violations
- Weather conditions
- Hazardous waters
- Wave/wake force
- Machinery failure
We will investigate your accident and determine who or what caused your injuries. Then, we will hold all those liable financially responsible.
Chalik & Chalik Boating Accidents Lawyer Near Me (407) 420-9838
Proving Liability in Your Boating Accident Lawsuit
If your accident is due to the negligent, reckless, or wrongful behavior of a boat operator or another party, we will help you prove you deserve compensation for your damages.
Our founders, Jason and Debi Chalik, handle each case personally. We are a family-owned and operated business, and Jason’s brother, Charles Chalik, is our in-house investigator. They, along with our team of associates, will work to build your case on a foundation of solid evidence. We will:
- Speak with witnesses, including others on the boat, bystanders on the shore, and authorities called to the scene
- Obtain medical records, police reports, and other relevant documents
- Consult with experts about your injuries, accident, and damages, including medical professionals, crash reconstruction specialists, and economists
- Photograph your injuries, boat damages, and the accident location
- Collect cell phone, video, or boat dashcam footage (if available)
Florida Boaters Have a Legal Duty to Act with Care
Florida Statutes Chapter 327 outlines a boater’s legal duty to operate their vessel safely. Our attorneys can use violations of the law as grounds for building your case. Among other regulations, the law states that boat operators must:
- Operate their vessel in a “reasonable and prudent” manner with regard for traffic, posted restrictions, and other circumstances on the waterway according to Florida Statutes § 327.33
- Stop immediately and contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, or the Orlando Police Department if involved in an accident resulting in injuries, death, or property damages exceeding $2,000
- Obey “no-wake” and “minimum wake” signs and avoid creating excessive or hazardous wakes.
- Not operate a boat under the influence of alcohol (legal limit is blood or breath alcohol level of 0.8 or higher for those 21 and over and 0.02 for those under 21)
- Pass an approved boater safety course and carry photographic identification and a boating safety education identification card (if born after January 1, 1988)
- Comply with boating safety equipment regulations and submit to compliance checks at the request of law enforcement
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Boating Accidents Lawyer today
Pursuing Compensation for Your Boating Accident in Florida
Florida does not require boat operators to carry insurance, though many boaters choose to have optional liability policies. If seeking compensation through an insurance claim is possible, we may attempt to secure a settlement through negotiations. If the liable party is not insured, our boating accident attorneys can pursue damages with a lawsuit. Financial recovery may include:
- Emergency transportation
- Emergency medical treatment
- Doctor visits
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Prescription drugs, medical devices, and medical equipment
- Surgeries and follow-up procedures
- Long-term care services
- Lost wages and lost earning potential
- Vessel repairs or replacement
- Physical pain
- Stress, anxiety, and mental anguish
- Reduced quality of lie
- Wrongful death compensation, including loss of consortium and parental guidance
According to Florida Statutes § 95.11, you have up to two years to file a personal injury lawsuit and two years to sue for wrongful death. The clock starts at the time of your accident or your loved one’s passing. Make sure you get started on your case before time runs out. An expired statute of limitations will likely result in a reduced or denied insurance settlement or a refusal of your case by the court.
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Orlando, call (407) 420-9838
Let Our Orlando Boating Accident Attorney Get Started on Your Case Today
Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers has decades of experience serving injured clients. We know that the time after an accident can be stressful and confusing, and insurance agents and opposing attorneys may use this to their advantage. Do not feel pressured to accept a lowball offer for settlement that is less than you deserve.
Let us stand up for you and fight for your rights. Our Orlando boating accident lawyers will communicate with the insurance company and others on your behalf. Your best interests will be at the heart of everything we do. To learn more about how we can secure the financial recovery you need to get back on your feet, call our offices today for a free consultation.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (407) 420-9838