Most personal injury lawyers work on what is known as a “contingency-fee” basis. Essentially, a personal injury lawyer’s payment is “contingent” upon winning your case and getting compensation on your behalf. Because a contingency fee is only payable when there is a favorable result, if you happen to lose your case, you will not have to pay attorney’s fees to the lawyer that represented you. However, you may have to pay for certain items and services relating to your representation. Those details would be covered in the written agreement you signed with your lawyer at the beginning of your working relationship. This is an important consideration when determining if you can afford to pay for a personal injury lawyer.
This type of contingency fee arrangement allows many people who would otherwise be unable to afford the services of an attorney in their personal injury case.
Costs of Representation
The exact amounts of payment are agreed upon by you and your lawyer prior to their acceptance of your case. At the onset of your working relationship, you and your lawyer will go over a contract that outlines the expected services and details of payment. Generally, in a contingency-fee agreement, the lawyer will take an agreed-upon percentage out of the compensation they get for you to cover the cost of their services.
Florida §16.0155 outlines the maximum percentages lawyers are able to take following a successful case resolution.
The statute reports that a lawyer cannot take:
- More than 25% of financial recovery for a case up to $10 million
- More than 20% of compensation for a case between $10 million and $15 million
- More than 15% of financial recovery for a case between $15 million and $20 million
- More than 10% of the compensation recovered for a case between $20 million and $25 million
- More than 5% of the funds recovered for a case exceeding $25 million
A lawyer can explain how this may pertain to your personal injury case.
Contingency-Fee Does Not Mean “Free”
A contingency-fee agreement does not mean representation is completely “free.” There are some costs associated with a personal injury case that an injured person may have to pay for themselves.
These may include costs for:
- Conducting an independent investigation
- Traveling to visit and interview witnesses
- The hiring of expert witnesses
- Various court costs, such as filing fees
- Obtaining and preparing documents needed for the case, such as medical documents and pay stubs
Never make any assumptions with respect to your contingency fee agreement and what you can afford to pay for a personal injury lawyer in Florida. Make sure that you truly understand all of the fees for which you may be ultimately responsible for whether or not you win your case. To protect yourself, you should request a copy of your contingency fee agreement for your records.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
Services a Lawyer Can Provide
A lawyer’s role in your personal injury claim is to prove that a negligent party’s actions resulted in your injuries and that the party in question should pay for them. In Florida, you have four years from the date of your accident to move forward with litigation. What this means is that your legal team needs to take measures to ensure that your case falls before the statute of limitations, if time permits.
Some of the services that a lawyer may provide to promote your case’s success include:
- Managing communications with the insurance company and liable party
- Fighting for a fair settlement on your behalf, whether that be out of court or before a judge
- Collecting relevant evidence to your claim
- Consulting with third-party experts, including medical professionals or accident reconstruction specialists, to learn more about your situation
- Keeping you updated on your case’s progress
- Estimating the cost of your economic and noneconomic damages
- Representing you in court, if necessary
You should speak with your legal team to understand which of the services are included in your contingency agreement and those that you may have to pay for yourself.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers Now
If you were involved in any kind of accident that resulted in injuries or losses that were directly due to someone else’s negligence, carelessness, or recklessness, you have the right to pursue compensation for those injuries.
At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we provide honest and personal representation to people who have been victims of injustice. We serve clients all over the state of Florida, including Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa.
Our team proudly operates on a contingency-fee-basis to minimize your financial risk when working with us.
Never let your financial situation prevent you from contacting us. During your free initial case review, we are interested in hearing your story so we can determine how we can help you and whether you can afford to pay for a personal injury lawyer in Florida. To get started, call (855) 529-0269.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269