Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers is proud to announce that our legal team won a $150,000 settlement for Sarai Ayemperoumal, who suffered several injuries after receiving improper services at a nail salon in Fort Myers, Florida. Attorney Jason Chalik represented Ayemperoumal until her case was settled this year.
Ayemperoumal’s case is an example that poor business practices can lead to dire consequences. Our firm strongly supports people in our community, so when we heard Ayemperoumal’s story, we knew we had to step in and help her hold the Fort Myers nail salon accountable for its negligence against her. Ayemperoumal’s $150k settlement is one of many successful case results we’ve earned, and we hope to keep adding more like hers to our list.
Unhygienic Acrylic Gel Manicure at Paradise Nails Caused Client to Develop Rash
On December 2, 2020, our client Sarai Ayemperoumal went to Paradise Nails in Fort Myers to get an acrylic gel manicure. However, she noticed that the nail technician did not use tools that were taken out of a sterile plastic package to avoid cross-contamination. Instead, the tools were taken out of a drawer and used on our client. Our client had no way of knowing how the tools were disinfected prior to her appointment.
A few days after the manicure appointment, Ayemperoumal began developing rashes on her arms, hands, and face.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
Nail Salons Must Abide by Disinfection Standards Set by the State
Maintaining good hygiene in business establishments that deal with bodily fluids or dermal areas is crucial, as the risk of infection or allergic reaction can be high if places like nail salons don’t adhere to strict standards. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) provides an instructional guide to nail salon owners and workers on how to safely run their practices, noting that businesses must also adhere to state laws for disinfection procedures.
In Florida, 61G5-20.002 mandates the following requirements for salons:
- No tool may be used on more than one patron without being disinfected between each use.
- Salons must have a sufficient amount of supplies to allow for adequate disinfecting practices when serving patrons.
- All salons must use EPA-approved disinfectants to clean their tools, such as wet disinfection containers, ultra-violent irradiation boxes, and hospital-level disinfectant solutions.
- Salons must clean tools with soap and water first before completely immersing tools in disinfectant chemical solutions.
- Pedicure basins must be disinfected after each use, and end-of-day procedures must be implemented to clean parts of the whirlpool basin, such as filter screens and jet components.
- Salons must keep a record or log book of their disinfection procedures.
Failure to comply with these standards can pose biological hazards for both patrons and workers. Very Well Health notes common infections people get at nail salons include paronychia (a fungal infection on the nail bed), MRSA infection, HPV virus, colds and the flu, and even bloodborne diseases like hepatitis B and HIV.
Ayemperoumal’s Injuries Only Worsened as Time Went On
When our client initially sought medical treatment for her rashes, she was diagnosed with an allergic reaction and given antibiotics (i.e., Medrol pack tablets, cephalexin, and hydroxyzine) to treat her symptoms. However, over two months, the rash continued to remain itchy and painful, which led her to go to Dermatology Solutions. There, she was diagnosed with a skin infection that causes rash and MIPS.
Ayemperoumal would end up having to go to Urgent Care to receive care and then later at Lee Memorial Hospital, where she was diagnosed with:
- Hyponatremia (a condition where the body has low sodium levels)
- Septic shock
- Metabolic acidosis (a condition that causes a buildup of acid and could potentially lead to kidney disease or failure)
- Acute renal failure (another condition that affects the kidneys)
- Muscle weakness
She would later be diagnosed with a mixed connective tissue disease and proteinuria (a condition that occurs when there is elevated protein in the urine) after seeing a nephrologist. Our client returned to Lee Memorial Hospital several times to treat new complications and persistent rash.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's personal injury lawyers today
Our Legal Team Demanded Compensation for Our Client’s Medical Expenses
Attorney Jason Chalik took on Sarai Ayemperoumal’s case to advocate for her right to financial recovery of her medical expenses and other damages. When negotiating a settlement for our client, our team laid out her main medical expenses to establishments such as:
- Lee Memorial Hospital
- Dermatology Solutions
- Florida Radiology Consultants
- Associates in Nephrology
- Dr. Bustillo
- Coast Care Health
We factored in the costs for each urgent care center and ER evaluation she received, as well as ICU treatment, physical examinations, blood and urine tests, prescription medication costs, and appointment copays.
For a free legal consultation call (855) 529-0269
Personal Injury Cases Allow You to Pursue Other Damages as Well
Victims like Ayemperoumal do not have to tolerate dealing with the consequences of a business’s negligent practices. Personal injury clients can demand compensation for various types of damages they may experience because of an injury, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages when having to take extensive time off to receive treatment, visit doctors, or recover from injuries
- Reduced earning potential if the injuries prevent the client from fulfilling their regular work duties
- Emotional distress, including insomnia, depression, and anxiety
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Transportation costs to medical appointments
If you or a loved one share a similar experience to our client, you may have grounds to pursue compensation for your damages. Our legal team can review your case and discuss your legal options.
We Offer Various Services to Represent Injury Victims in Florida
We served our client Sarai Ayemperoumal the way we serve all of our clients: as if she was our own family. Our team empathizes with each client we work with because we understand that they were unfortunate victims. Should you decide to work with our team, we will provide the following services:
- Private case investigation to identify the liable party and cause of injury/accident
- Evidence collection to support your claims
- Communication services to handle any statement requests you receive from other parties
- Legal representation both in and out of court, including sending demand letters and motion requests on your behalf
- Legal counseling for case decisions you might face, such as accepting a settlement offer or proceeding with a lawsuit
Our team will discuss your case with you to determine how much compensation to pursue on your behalf and be transparent about our procedures. Should you have any questions, you are welcome to reach out to our team for further consultation.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to Get a Free Case Review
Our legal team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers is proud to have won a $150k settlement for nail salon victim Sarai Ayemperoumal and hopes that she recovers well both physically and emotionally. Our mission is to continue helping victims like her hold negligent parties accountable when they cause injuries.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury because of another party’s negligence, a personal injury lawyer from one of our Floridian offices can represent you. We offer the first consultation for free to strategize a legal course of action for you, then we start building your case. When you work with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we treat you like family and fight for you like our own. Start your legal journey today.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269