If you were injured or lost a family member in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may recover financial compensation. Seeking damages after an accident may feel like one more thing to do in an already stressful time. A Jacksonville drunk driving accident lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can help you pursue justice and fair compensation.
Drunk driving accidents happen all too often and can lead to devastating injuries and deaths. The Florida News Times reports that in February 2021, an alleged drunk driver struck a Jacksonville sheriff who was controlling traffic after a separate hit-and-run accident. The sheriff ended up in the hospital in critical but stable condition. The injuries from accidents like this can result in expensive medical bills and long absences from work.
Is the Drunk Driver at Fault for Your Accident?
Every driver owes other people a duty of care, or an obligation to drive safely and keep others out of harm’s way. A driver who breaches that duty of care and causes an accident is considered negligent.
Driving drunk breaches the duty of care, so if you were involved in an accident with a drunk driver, he is most likely at fault. Our lawyers will investigate your accident to gather evidence showing the other driver was drinking, that his drinking impaired his driving, and that he is responsible for your accident and related expenses.
Find a Jacksonville Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (904) 549-6065
Recovering Damages After a Jacksonville Drunk Driving Accident
Our lawyers will assist you in recovering compensation from your own insurance as well as the other driver and his insurance provider. You may be able to recover:
Medical Expenses Via Your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance
Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) states that Florida drivers must carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. PIP insurance covers 80% of your medical expenses up to $10,000 resulting from a covered injury, no matter who caused the accident.
While PIP provides some guaranteed coverage for medical bills, your expenses may quickly exceed $10,000, especially if the accident leaves you with significant injuries. PIP does not cover your non-medical losses such as unpaid time off work or property damage. You can seek damages for these expenses from the drunk driver who caused your accident.
Economic Damages from the At-Fault Driver
You can seek damages for tangible losses caused by the accident:
- Medical bills in excess of $10,000 for emergency care, diagnostic imaging, surgery, doctor’s appointments, prescription medication, and more
- Future medical care such as anticipated surgeries, rehabilitative therapies, ongoing care, or other treatments
- Lost wages for past and future time out of work
- Property damage, such as repair or replacement of your vehicle
Non-Economic Damages from the At-Fault Driver
You can seek damages for intangible losses such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, or inconvenience caused by the accident. According to Florida Statutes § 627.737, to seek these damages your injuries must cause:
- Permanent loss of a bodily function
- Significant scarring or disfigurement
- Permanent injury other than scarring or disfigurement
Wrongful Death Damages from the At-Fault Driver
Florida Statutes § 768.21 states which types of wrongful death damages are available and who can seek them. Surviving spouses, minor children, and parents of a minor child can seek damages. Adult children can seek damages if there is no surviving spouse, and parents of adult children can seek damages if there are no other survivors.
Damages may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical care
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income
- Loss of support and services
- Loss of companionship, protection, guidance, and instruction
Chalik & Chalik Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer Near Me (904) 549-6065
How Our Lawyers Can Help with Your Case
Our lawyers can assist you with all legal and insurance aspects of your case. We can:
- Investigate the accident: Our lawyer will use toxicology reports, eyewitness statements, pictures of the accident, police reports, and more to show that the other driver’s negligence caused your accident.
- Estimate your recoverable damages: We will use evidence to estimate how much compensation you are entitled to.
- Negotiate a settlement: We will negotiate a settlement with the other driver and his insurance provider.
- File a lawsuit: If we cannot agree on fair compensation, we will sue the at-fault driver and represent you in court.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer today
Our Lawyers Help Car Accident Victims Throughout Florida
At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we are committed to fighting for the rights of people who fell victim to other people’s negligence. We help people who suffer injuries in drunk driving accidents and other types of car accidents. Here are some examples of our case results:
- $1.0 million settlement for a client hit by a ride-sharing service driver
- $100,000 settlement for a client whose knee was injured in an auto accident
- $100,000 settlement for a client who required back surgery after being injured in an auto accident
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Jacksonville, call (904) 549-6065
Time Limits in a Florida Drunk Driving Accident Case
The state of Florida limits how much time you have to sue the at-fault driver who caused your drunk driving accident. These laws may affect your case:
- Florida Statute § 95.11(3)(a) sets the statute of limitations for personal injury at four years, which means that in general, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit for personal injury.
- Florida Statute § 95.11(4)(d) sets the statute of limitations for wrongful death at two years, which means that in general, you have two years from the date your loved one passed away to file a lawsuit for wrongful death.
Florida Statute § 95.051 outlines certain situations in which the statute of limitations can be extended. Our lawyer serving Jacksonville will evaluate your drunk driving accident case to see if any extensions apply. We ensure that you file your lawsuit on time.
Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers will Fight for You
If you were hurt or lost a family member in a Jacksonville accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your accident-related expenses.
Our lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can help you recover damages. Call (904) 549-6065 today for a free case consultation. We work on contingency, so you pay nothing unless we win.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (904) 549-6065