According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), rear-end collisions account for approximately 29% of all motor vehicle accidents. When drivers exercise proper care, many of these crashes are preventable.
If you were injured in a rear-end collision, a Fort Lauderdale rear-end collisions lawyer from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can review your claim and explain your legal options. Call us today at (954) 476-1000 to learn more about pursuing compensation for your collision-related damages.
Common Causes of Rear-End Accidents
Your lawyer can review traffic camera footage, witness testimony, and the official crash report to learn more about your collision’s cause.
Some of the reasons behind these accidents include:
Following Too Closely
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) notes that rear-end collisions are almost always due to a driver following too closely to the vehicle in front of them. Florida drivers are instructed to maintain a minimum following distance of four seconds during good weather and road conditions. They should further increase their following distance in poor weather or traffic conditions.
When a driver is speeding, it will take more time for them to come to a complete stop when a sudden hazard appears, such as debris on a roadway. Higher speeds are also associated with more serious accidents and injuries.
Another common cause of rear-end collisions is distracted driving. If a negligent driver is texting or otherwise distracted, they may not be paying attention to the road or other drivers.
Drugs, alcohol, prescription medications, and over-the-counter medications may impair a motorist’s driving abilities. An impaired driver may be unable to react in time to a certain hazard, have slow reflexes, and make poor driving-related decisions.
Driving while drowsy can replicate some of the same behaviors and limitations associated with impaired drivers.
You may not see the reason for your Fort Lauderdale car accident listed here. Your lawyer can evaluate various forms of collision-related evidence to determine why your collision happened. To learn more, call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers. You can get in touch with a member of our law firm by calling (954) 476-1000.
Fort Lauderdale Rear End Collisions Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
For a free legal consultation with a rear-end collisions lawyer serving Fort Lauderdale, call (855) 646-5468
Liability in Your Motor Vehicle Accident Case
In most rear-end collisions, the driver in the rear is often found at fault for the accident. However, there are some exceptions.
The driver in the front may be found partially or primarily liable for the accident if:
- The driver’s vehicle did not have working brake lights or turn signals.
- The driver reversed into the vehicle behind them.
- The driver’s vehicle had a mechanical defect that impeded safe driving practices.
Our Florida law firm can investigate your case and determine who is at fault for your rear-end collision.
Fort Lauderdale Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Near Me (855) 646-5468
Common Injuries in Rear-End Collisions
As a result of your Fort Lauderdale car accident, you may be left with an array of life-altering injuries.
Rear-end collisions may result in the following types of impairments:
Whiplash is a soft tissue injury that commonly forms when the neck and head are violently thrust back and forth during a car accident. This type of injury often causes pain and soreness. In some cases, these symptoms endure for years after an accident.
Head and Brain injuries
Head and brain injuries can occur in rear-end collisions when a driver or passenger hits their head against a hard surface inside the vehicle, such as the steering wheel, dashboard, or door. Some of these injuries may be traumatic in nature, which can result in a loss of consciousness, cognitive problems, and personality changes. Head injuries that occur during car accidents should be taken very seriously.
Common symptoms associated with traumatic brain injuries include:
- Blurred vision
- Slurred speech
- Problems with balance
- Problems with concentration or memory
You may be experiencing other symptoms than those listed here.
Some rear-end collisions can result in partial or complete paralysis to the victim. This can limit one’s mobility and ability to live independently.
Another common rear-end collision injury is a back injury. The physical impact of a rear-end collision (even at low speeds) can result in pinched nerves, herniated disks, and fractures.
If you hit your head on a vehicle’s hard interior surface, you run the risk of breaking your nose, jaw, or other parts of your face. Facial injuries can also occur when airbags deploy, potentially burning your face or scalp. These injuries may require extensive medical treatment or surgery.
Considerations After a Fort Lauderdale Rear-End Collision
If you were injured in a rear-end accident, the actions you take in the days and weeks afterward can have a significant impact on the potential outcome of your case.
Some considerations that may work to safeguard your legal interests include:
- Requesting a copy of the accident report. The accident report may contain important information, such as whether the other driver received a citation, their insurance information, and statements that eyewitnesses made.
- Following your doctor’s orders. You should follow the recommendations that your doctor gave you. You may need to take time off of work, complete physical therapy, or limit your mobility.
- Documenting the accident. Before you have your vehicle repaired, you should take pictures of its damage from a variety of different angles. Also, take pictures of your injuries as they heal.
- Limiting your social media use. Anything you say or post to social media may later be used against you. Do not say anything about the accident or your injuries during the development of your case. The insurance adjuster may be able to access your posts and use the information you share to discredit your damages.
- Working with a Fort Lauderdale rear-end collisions lawyer. An attorney from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can explain your legal options, review the evidence associated with your damages, and pursue financial recovery from the at-fault party. Call our legal team today to find out more.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
If you were injured in a rear-end collision, a Fort Lauderdale rear-end collisions lawyer from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers is here to help with all aspects of your claim. Our team will conduct an investigation into the cause of your accident and gather evidence that will help you establish liability. We work on a contingency-fee-basis, so you do not pay us our attorney’s fees unless your case is successfully resolved.
To begin a free case evaluation, dial (954) 476-1000.