Top 10 Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Slip and fall accidents can happen at the most unexpected times. They can occur as you go about your daily activities, whether it is shopping, commuting to work or enjoying some leisure time. Although elderly people tend to be more susceptible to slip and fall accidents, they can happen to anyone if hazardous conditions are present. A cracked sidewalk, wet supermarket floor or even a poorly lit parking lot could leave you injured and in need of medical care.
Common Locations Slip and Fall Accidents Can Happen
- Homes: If a slip and fall accident occurs in your residence or the home of a family, friend or neighbor, you will likely have to deal with an insurance company before taking action. Such lawsuits can also be tricky if you are a friend of the homeowner. A slip and fall accident in a rented home or apartment can be the fault of the landlord.
- Parking lots and parking garages: A number of hazardous conditions can exist in parking lots and garages such as improperly placed wheel stops, cracked pavements and lack of lighting.
- Public areas: Accidents that occur in swimming pools, gyms, parks, restrooms and other public locations can be the fault of a government entity that failed to provide a safe environment.
- Grocery or big box stores: Accidents in supermarkets, shopping centers or department stores are likely to be complex in terms of proving liability. Working with an attorney can help you navigate such slip and fall injury claims.
- Restaurants, bars and clubs: Spilled food and drinks that are not cleaned up, wet floors that are not marked with warning signs and scattered debris can often leave unsuspecting customers at the risk of injury.
- Offices or workplaces: Such accidents can be covered by workers compensation. In some cases, legal action may be required against the employer.
Construction sites: A wide array of hazards can be present at such locations. While some may be labeled clearly with warning signs, others may occur unexpectedly.
- Accidents at construction sites are not limited to just construction workers. Contractors, passersby and people living in surrounding areas can also be affected.
- Walkways: Sidewalks, paths and driveways can be sites for slip and fall accidents due to cracked or uneven surfaces.
- Stairs and escalators: A stairway with loose or no handrails could leave you injured. It is important to note the circumstances of the accident in order to determine which party was responsible for the hazardous condition.
- Hotels or resorts: Accidents in such locations often involve the same concerns as with large businesses. Hotels present a number of potentially hazardous conditions such as loose carpeting or wet floors.
Why the Location of a Slip and Fall Accident Is Important
The place where the accident occurs is important as it determines the damages that are available, the parties to sue, the liability rules and the steps that you need to take to pursue a slip and fall accident claim. The unique circumstances of the accident’s location can influence the outcome of a slip and fall lawsuit.
A slip and fall lawsuit aims to identify the parties legally responsible for the hazardous condition. Figuring out who is liable is not always easy or straightforward. Many factors need to be examined to determine fault. This includes whether the party had control over the dangerous condition. If so, did they fail to fix it despite knowing about it? For example, store employees responsible for keeping floors clean could have been careless in mopping up spilled liquids, causing you to slip and fall.
A slip and fall accident can leave you or your loved ones injured and in need of medical care through no fault of your own. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, there are several steps you should take immediately after the incident. Make sure you report it to the store manager, landlord or any other person in charge of where the accident took place. You should also remember to document your accident as it could be of help later in case you choose to take legal action. Also note the names and contact information for any witnesses. Be certain to seek medical attention immediately for your injuries, even if you feel they are not serious. Injuries from slip and fall accidents can range from minor scrapes and bumps to serious injuries such as broken bones and head trauma.
Slip and fall accidents can change your life forever. They may leave you overwhelmed and dealing with piling medical bills, missed time at work and other frustrations. If you have been injured due to the negligent actions of a business, property owner or other party, you could be entitled to compensation.
Consulting an experienced attorney that understands the complexity of a slip and fall accident can help you determine who was at fault and get you the compensation you deserve. Contact Chalik & Chalik and talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer to find out more about the steps you can take.