Are you weighing the pros and cons of whether you should call a lawyer after a car accident? While the state of Florida allows you to resolve a personal injury case on your own, hiring a lawyer can also work to achieve your legal goals.
Your lawyer can:
- Focus on your financial recovery while you focus on your physical recovery
- File a lawsuit within Florida’s statute of limitations, if required
- Evaluate the cost of your damages and negotiate for a fair settlement
- Continually update you on the progress of your case and settlement negotiations
- Interview witnesses present at the accident scene
- Meet Florida’s legal requirements for personal injury compensation
- Gather and review the evidence that supports your case
Preparing and filing a personal injury claim on your own can be time-consuming and complex. Working with a lawyer can work to alleviate your stress while you recuperate from the aftermath of a Florida car accident.
Your Lawyer Can Review the Cost of Your Car Accident Damages
When a negligent driver causes a car accident in Florida, you may have the basis of an insurance claim or lawsuit to recoup the costs of the collision.
According to Florida Statute § 768.81, following an accident, you may be entitled to recover:
- Current and future lost income
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of support and services
- Damaged or destroyed property
You can also receive financial coverage for pain and suffering, rehabilitation costs, and mental distress. A car accident lawyer can help you prepare a list of your injury-related expenses and assign a financial value to your compensation case.
Your Personal Injury Lawyer Can Gather Evidence
Your car accident lawyer can help you prove the cause, effect, and value of your case by reviewing the evidence associated with the collision.
Some documents and evidence that can support your case include:
- The official police or crash report
- Your medical records
- Your medical bills
- Pictures of your injuries
- Pictures of your property damage
- Your employment records
- Witness statements
- Testimony from your doctor
There may be other pieces of information that could ultimately benefit your case. You should obtain copies of these documents and share them with your legal team. If your injuries prevent you from doing so, then your lawyer may be able to get these documents for you. Their goal is to recover compensation for you and your family while you begin rebuilding your life.
Your Lawyer Can Negotiate for a Fair Financial Settlement
The American Bar Association notes that most personal injury cases are settled without having to go to court. You and your legal team will need to have a full understanding of the damages you are entitled to. If you forget to include a certain loss in your demand letter, you might miss out on being compensated for that expense.
Your lawyer will evaluate the cost of your damages and explain what monetary value qualifies as a fair settlement offer. They can also explain the risks of hastily accepting a settlement offer. If you accept a proposal from the insurance company and incur additional expenses, you will be unable to ask for more money.
You, not your lawyer, make the final decision whether to accept or reject a settlement offer. Your lawyer will advise you on the feasibility of any offer you receive and guide your case toward a favorable outcome.
A Lawyer Can Explain Florida’s Statute of Limitations
According to Florida Statute § 95.11, you generally have four years from the date of a car accident to file a lawsuit.
Failing to file your lawsuit within the allotted period could mean:
- The state would not allow you to file your lawsuit at all.
- The at-fault driver would not have to compensate you.
- The full financial impact of the accident would fall to you.
Do not put your right to financial compensation in jeopardy. When you team up with a personal injury lawyer following a car accident, they can explain what deadlines could affect your compensation case.
Contact Our Personal Injury Team without Delay
Were you or a loved one injured in a car accident? You should call a lawyer after a car accident if you are uncertain about your financial recovery options. When you are ready to seek compensation for your accident-related losses, contact the personal injury team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers. We offer a free initial case review where a member of our team can explain the services a lawyer can provide. You can reach us at (855) 529-0269.