It is normal to feel overwhelmed and confused following a car accident. You probably have a lot of concerns surrounding the payment of your medical bills, the repair needs of your car, and whether or not you will be able to return to work. Car accidents are usually expensive for everyone involved.
Working with a Sarasota car accident lawyer that is familiar with Florida’s laws can help you find clarity in the car accident claims process. Our car accident attorneys at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can help.
Testimonials from Our Injury Clients
You do not have to base your decision about a law firm on what we say about ourselves. Here are some of the many client testimonials:
- “Chalik & Chalik law firm was the greatest decision my family and I made! Long story short within the same day of our accident we were already scheduled to start our therapy sessions and were able to go back home feeling better, not only physically, but with piece of mind that we were in good hands. Thanks again Chalik & Chalik!!!” Wladimir M.
- “Great company, Dell always there to answer any questions I have. The process was so smooth and stress free. I would definitely recommend these lawyers to anyone. Thank you for being my voice throughout this stressful time.” Tpollifer H.
- “Having used the Chalik Law firm a few times for car accidents and product liability issues, we were extremely satisfied with the results. The firm was very committed to providing factual, prompt updates, and excellent advice on settlements and legal issues. Rather than use legalize, all conversations were simple to understand, which made making a complex legal decision very easy. We never know when we might be in a situation that requires expert legal advice again, but if we do, I know our first call would to the Chalik law firm.” Philip D.
- “Definitely very professional. In particular, I thank Ms. Sylvia for her excellent work on my case. She always kept me informed and responded to my calls and questions with kindness and professionalism. I am very grateful to her and to Chalik & Chalik. THANK YOU!” Ana Maria D.
Let us help you with your car accident injury claim. You can contact us today for a free consultation.
Find a Sarasota Car Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (941) 315-4404
Recoverable Car Accident Damages
Compensation will vary based on your case, but we can give you an idea of possible damages you can recover. You may be able to collect the following damages:
- Medical costs: Awards can include hospital stays, prescription pain medication costs, reimbursement for lost wages and benefits, surgery expenses, doctor visits, and x-rays.
- Lost income: Compensation may cover any paychecks you missed because of your injury.
- Reduced earning capacity: Awards may also reflect any future changes in your ability to earn due to your injury.
- Pain and suffering: Your physical pain and emotional suffering may also warrant compensation.
Some damages are only available in cases where you are eligible to file a lawsuit. We can tell you more about whether or not you can file suit.
If you are filing an insurance claim, it is important to note that no-fault coverage has a maximum compensation of $10,000. Claims of pain and suffering are not eligible under a no-fault policy.
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you could be facing serious financial challenges at the same time you are dealing with your loss. If someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s death, we can help you seek compensation for the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical costs for any final care your loved one required
- Lost income your loved one would have provided to your family
We can handle every aspect of a wrongful death claim on your behalf so that you don’t have to deal with these matters.
Chalik & Chalik Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me (941) 315-4404
How Florida’s Car Accident Laws Can Affect Your Case
Each state has its own laws regarding the compensation of car accident costs. You should understand these laws to know who is responsible for paying medical costs and car damages. Each state also has strict time limits within which you must file your claim.
Florida’s No-Fault Laws
Florida is one of the states that follow no-fault car accident laws. This means that Florida requires that all drivers carry personal liability protection (PLP) and property damage liability (PDL) insurance. Each policy must cover up to $10,000 in damages.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Car Accidents Lawyer today
Filing a Car Accident Claim
Because Florida is a no-fault state, you will submit your car accident claim with your own insurance provider. The process will depend on the car insurance company. They may have specific requirements that you must follow.
It is important to be cooperative with the insurance company while also still ensuring that you get the compensation that you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Sarasota, call (941) 315-4404
An Attorney Can Help You File a Car Accident Lawsuit
You may be eligible to file a lawsuit against another driver in certain situations if they were at fault for the accident. This allows you to seek compensation from the responsible party for the costs that exceed your insurance coverage.
Filing a car accident lawsuit requires demonstrating the following four elements:
- Duty of care: We must identify that the other driver held a legal duty of care.
- Breach of duty: We must demonstrate that another driver breached their duty of care via negligence.
- Causation: We must establish that negligent activity caused the car accident.
- Actual damages: We must prove that there were actual damages incurred as a result of a breach of duty.
It is not always easy to determine fault in a car accident. In some cases, the actions of both parties may have led to the accident. However, Florida’s comparative fault law does allow you to seek compensation for a car accident that you are partially to blame for, per Florida Statutes §768.81. Your compensatory amount will be reduced by the percent that you are found to be at fault.
Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Lawsuits in Florida
It is also important to stay within the timeline imposed by Florida Statutes §95.11(3)(a). The amount of time that you have to file a claim with your insurance provider will depend on their specific protocols. However, all lawsuits against another driver must be filed within four years from the date of the car accident.
There are some rare cases that can extend or shorten this timeline. Failing to stay within Florida’s car accident statute of limitations can result in your case being thrown out and making you ineligible for compensation.
Three Mistakes to Avoid When You Have a Car Accident Injury Claim
You might think that the financial value of your injury claim is set in stone at the time of the crash, but many things could happen later that could decrease the amount of settlement you might receive.
- Guessing about how much your injury claim is worth without reliable data. Personal injury attorneys and insurance companies can access databases that provide information on how much money a jury would be likely to award in a case similar to yours. If you try to handle your claim on your own without this information, you might find out later that you should have gotten a higher settlement.
- Contacting other parties involved in the crash to talk about who caused the collision. Your words can get used against you. You do not want to give the insurance company an excuse to pay you less money or falsely accuse you of being the at-fault driver. Your injury attorney will deal directly with the insurers and parties in the case so that you do not have to do so.
- Thinking that you can get more money later. Many people sign paperwork without realizing the consequences of those documents. When you settle your injury claim, you will have to sign papers that release the defendant and insurer from any future claims from the car accident. You can never go back and ask for more money for your losses.
Many other events could affect the value of your claim. Your Sarasota car accident lawyer can answer your questions about how to protect your claim.
What to Expect When You Hire Our Sarasota Car Accident Attorney
If you’re facing injuries after an accident, you may not wish to deal with the legal legwork of a claim or lawsuit. We can handle every aspect of your case for you. We offer the following services to our clients:
You likely have a lot of questions following the accident. You may be dealing with medical concerns and vehicle damages while attempting to navigate Florida’s laws. A free consultation allows us to get to know you and the details of your case. We can also give you the opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the legal process.
Collecting Important Documents
Documents are often needed to demonstrate injuries, damages, and fault. Whether you are filing a claim with your insurance company or filing a lawsuit, it is necessary to collect supporting documents.
We may assist you in retrieving these important documents:
- Medical records
- Police report
- Claims adjuster report
- Income statement
- Witness statements
- Expert witness reports
Communicating with Insurance Companies
Consistent communication is important when dealing with insurance companies to ensure a timely and fair payout. Your insurance company may have specific requirements that need to be followed, including:
- Filing a claim within a set period of time
- Seeing an approved physician
- Filing specific documents.
On the other hand, you could also face complications as you proceed with an insurance claim. For instance, an insurer may try to offer you a lower settlement than your case truly warrants.
We can fight for every dollar available in your case and negotiate for your fair compensation. We will handle all communications with the insurance companies while you focus on your health.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to Work With a Car Accident Lawyer
Our car accident lawyers serving Sarasota, FL, may be able to help you if you were in a car accident. We take pride in treating our clients like family. When you choose Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, you can expect to work with our firm’s partners. You will also get guidance from a team that has won million-dollar settlements.
Contact our team today.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (941) 315-4404