You can get torn ligaments and tendons in a slip and fall or car accident. While some of these injuries heal successfully, others can be debilitating. If someone else’s negligence caused you to get hurt and you sustained torn ligaments or tendons, a Miami Torn Ligaments and Tendons Lawyer at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers could help.
Our clients know that they can focus their attention and energy on getting better because we are taking care of their legal matters. We work tirelessly to get our clients every dollar that they deserve so they can rebuild their lives.
The negligent party’s insurance company has entire teams of claims adjusters, investigators, and defense attorneys trying to find ways to pay you less money than they should. You do not have to face them on your own.
Our state gives you very little time to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for personal injury. If this time runs out, you will not be able to go after money damages from the responsible party. You can call us today at (305) 944-2035 for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Common Types of Torn Ligaments and Tendons
Three of the most common types of torn ligaments and tendons are:
- Back sprain. If you stretch or tear a ligament in your back, you have a back sprain. The Cleveland Clinic says that ligaments hold two or more bones together at a joint and keep them from moving out of place. A back sprain can result from trauma that twists the spine or knocks a bone out of place. In either situation, the ligament can stretch to the point of tearing.
- Whiplash. We tend to think of car accidents when we hear the term “whiplash,” but an unexpected fall can also cause these injuries. The neck moves back and forth rapidly, causing damage to soft tissue like ligaments, muscles, and nerves. According to the Cleveland Clinic, whiplash can cause torn ligaments in the neck.
- Tendinitis. The Mayo Clinic says that a sudden injury can cause tendinitis. This painful condition can happen anywhere you have a tendon, but wrists, elbows, shoulders, heels, and knees tend to get tendinitis most frequently.
Torn ligaments often require surgical repair to restore function, strength, and range of motion.
Miami Torn Ligaments and Tendons Injuries Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Miami, call (855) 646-5468
How to Hold the Negligent Party Responsible for Ligament and Tendon Tears
If someone else’s carelessness caused the accident in which you tore ligaments or tendons, we will have to prove all four of these factors for liability:
- Duty of care. The defendant must have owed you a legal duty. Let’s use the example of a slip and fall accident in a restaurant. The owner of the restaurant had a responsibility to take reasonable measures to keep the premises safe for guests. This duty includes taking prompt corrective action to keep people from getting hurt because of hazards the owner knew or should have known about.
- Breach of duty. When a person’s actions do not meet the legal standard, it is negligence. The restaurant had a massive fountain as a focal point in the middle of the restaurant. In a recent remodeling, the owner had marble installed on the floor surrounding the fountain. The restaurant staff complained that the marble was treacherously slick, but the owner refused to replace the flooring or cover it with skid-resistant mats.
- Causation. When the negligence leads to an injury, the circumstances satisfy the causation element for liability. In our hypothetical, a customer at the restaurant slipped and fell on the wet marble flooring, fracturing his spine and tearing ligaments in his back. The carelessness of the owner caused the patron’s injury.
- Measurable damages. If the customer regained his balance and averted a complete fall, without sustaining any injuries, he would not have a claim for compensation. In our scenario, however, the individual suffered physical injury. Physical harm satisfies the requirement of quantifiable losses.
When we can prove all four of these factors, we can hold the defendant legally responsible. You do not have to sort out all of these legal issues on your own. A Miami torn ligaments and tendons lawyer at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can navigate through the claims process and file a lawsuit if appropriate. You can call us today at (305) 944-2035 to get started.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (855) 646-5468
Pursuing Monetary Damages for Torn Ligaments and Tendons
We cannot say how much compensation you can go after in your injury claim without first talking to you and investigating your case. Every injury claim is different. The amount of monetary damages you can pursue will depend on the facts of your situation.
Here are some examples of the types of compensation we have won for our clients:
- Lost wages. If you missed time from work without pay because of your injuries and recuperation time, your lost wages, salary, self-employment, and other forms of regular income can be part of your claim.
- Diminished earning capacity. If you cannot make as much money now because of your injuries, the difference between what you used to earn and what you can make now can be compensable.
- Medical expenses. Usually, you can recover the reasonable cost of the medical treatment you needed for your injuries. This category covers many things in addition to doctor bills. Your medical expenses can include the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, diagnostic testing, prescription drugs, surgery, physical therapy, crutches, wheelchair, and other medically necessary items.
- Pain and suffering. Merely paying your medical bills does not do justice to the physical discomfort and emotional distress you experienced because of getting hurt.
- Other intangible damages. Depending on your circumstances, you might be eligible for compensation for things like disfigurement, chronic depression and anxiety, and loss of the enjoyment of life if these things were the result of the accident.
We calculate the monetary value of the losses our clients suffered.
Contact Our Office to Get Help with Your Torn Ligaments and Tendons Case
A Miami torn ligaments and tendons lawyer can help you hold the negligent person responsible for hurting you. At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we help people who get hurt because of the carelessness of others. You can call us today at (305) 944-2035 for a free case evaluation.