If you have been involved in an accident with a truck in West Palm Beach, Florida, you may have suffered serious injuries and property damage. Given the size and weight of a truck, your injuries may have been life-threatening and your car may be damaged beyond repair. Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (561) 899-5020 understand how traumatic an accident with a truck is and know what to do to help you recover your damages in a lawsuit.
Types of Truck Accidents
Due to the cargo distribution, weight, size, and speed the truck may be going, some common types of accidents include:
- When the coupling mechanism fails, or the trailer gets thrown off balance, the trailer may swing out and wind up perpendicular to the tractor. This is called a jackknifed truck and can result in extensive damage and injuries to any vehicles nearby
- If a truck driver loses his or her ability to stop the truck or slow down, the weight of the truck may increase its speed and it can mow down anything in its path
- A truck can easily tip over due to its higher center of gravity and crush anything beneath it
- When a truck rear ends a car, it may drive onto the back of the car and may even reach the back seat. If a car rear ends a truck, the car can become wedged underneath the truck
- Cargo can fall from a truck while it is in transit and cause dangerous pileups on the highway
Whatever kind of accident you were in, the attorneys at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (561) 899-5020 can help.
Damages in a Truck Accident Lawsuit in West Palm Beach, FL
You can claim compensation for a truck accident to cover:
- Medically related expenses, both currently and in the future
- Lost wages, both currently and in the future
- Property damage
- The cost of hiring someone to do household jobs
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Wrongful death
The Law Can Be Complicated
It may be complicated to ascertain who is liable for your injuries. The laws regarding truck accidents in Florida are complex and differ from the laws in other states. Commercial motor vehicles and private passenger motor vehicles are both subject to Florida’s no-fault law. But where the truck was registered and licensed plays a part in determining compensation in the accident as well. Federal law may also be involved, if the truck is involved in interstate commerce.
West Palm Beach Truck Accidents Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
How a West Palm Beach Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
Hiring an attorney to help you recover damages in a personal injury claim involving a truck accident may be the thing to do if your injuries are severe. A truck accident personal injury attorney will:
- Consult with you to evaluate your case and determine who may be liable for your injuries
- Comply with the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in Florida under FL 95.11
- Determine the amount of compensation to request
- Obtain witness statements, gather photographic and video evidence, the police report, medical reports, records, and bills, job reports, and any other relevant evidence to build a strong and effective case
- Communicate on your behalf with all the parties involved
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement of your claim. The negotiation process may take a long time but personal injury lawyers, like the ones at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, have negotiating skills and know how to communicate with insurance companies.
- If pre-trial settlement negotiations do not result in a satisfactory outcome, your attorney will prepare to take your case to court
Proving a Personal Injury Case
As in all personal injury cases, your West Palm Beach truck accident lawyer must prove that:
- The truck driver had a duty of care to drive carefully to keep others safe on the road
- The truck driver breached that duty of care by causing harm to you
- You suffered damages as a result of the breach of duty
Partial Fault for a Trucking Accident
Florida’s comparative negligence law means that if you contributed to the accident, you may be partially responsible for your injuries. If the insurance company proves that this was the case, your compensation will be reduced by the percentage of fault you had for the accident, which may be exactly what the insurance company would like. An attorney will examine the evidence and inform you whether you have some of the responsibility for the accident. A West Palm Beach truck accident lawyer would work hard for you, while the insurance company is looking out for its own welfare.
How You Can Help Your Case
Insurance companies are generally interested in paying out as little as possible to satisfy your claim. Things you may say to the insurance company can be used to possibly disprove your claim or decrease the amount of money the insurance company will have to payout. It may be helpful to your case if you:
- Speak with your lawyer first before agreeing to record a statement for the insurance company
- Send all your bills to your lawyer even if the insurance company is paying them
- Notify your lawyer when your doctor releases you from further treatment and is allowing you to return to work
- Do not change your doctor without letting your attorney know
- Notify your attorney as soon as possible if any of your contact information changes
- Don’t discuss your case with anyone and don’t post anything about your accident on social media
If you have been injured in an accident in West Palm Beach, FL, call the legal team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (561) 899-5020 for a free case review. They know exactly what to do and are standing by to help.