If you were injured on the job, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation. Getting the benefits to which you are entitled can be difficult. But you are not alone. Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (561) 899-5020 for a free case evaluation.
Depending on your work environment, you may have been injured at work by slipping and falling, equipment failure, electrical shock, falling from heights, being struck by an object, or in a construction site accident. Regardless of whose fault the accident is, Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers know what to do.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits for a Work-Related Injury
Workers’ compensation was enacted to protect workers who become injured or harmed in the performance of their duties at their place of employment. Florida requires employers to purchase workers’ compensation insurance with very few exceptions. Workers’ compensation covers:
- Medical bills and expenses related to medical care and treatment including prescription medications, doctor’s visits, physical therapy, and hospitalization
- Temporary total disability benefits and temporary partial disability benefits
- Impairment benefits
- Permanent total disability benefits
- Death benefits
- Job replacement training if you cannot return to your job
What Workers’ Compensation Benefits You Can Receive
How much and how long you can receive your benefits depends on whether your injury resulted in a partial disability, permanent disability, or no disability. For example, if an office manager falls and breaks her ankle, workers’ compensation will pay for her medical evaluation and treatment, but because she can return to work the next day, it will not cover income replacement.
However, if you are a construction worker who broke their ankle on the job, you have a partial disability and won’t be able to perform the necessary functions of your job. In this case, workers’ compensation will provide you with income replacement benefits until you can get back to your job. You will also receive medical benefits.
West Palm Beach Workers Compensation Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving West Palm Beach, call (855) 646-5468
Your Employer’s Workers’ Compensation Insurer May Attempt to Deny Your Claim
In some situations, workers’ compensation benefits are not available:
- You caused your own injury on purpose
- You were working under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- You did not follow safety rules or use available safety equipment
- You caused your own injury to obtain workers’ compensation benefits
Your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer may use any of these to claim you are not entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. The insurer may also claim you failed to meet specific deadlines.
If you need a West Palm Beach workers’ compensation lawyer because your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer is attempting to deny your claim, Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers will build a case establishing your entitlement to benefits. Call us at (561) 899-5020 to discuss your case.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (855) 646-5468
Workers’ Compensation Does Not Cover Everything
Workers’ compensation benefits do not cover the pain and suffering associated with being injured on the job. However, there may be other parties responsible for your injuries. If so, we can file a third-party claim on your behalf to recover any damages workers’ compensation does not cover. Damages might include:
- The portion of your lost wages workers’ compensation does not cover
- Future lost wages not covered by workers’ compensation
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- The cost of hiring help around the house (e.g., childcare, yard work)
- Miscellaneous expenses
Examples of Potentially Liable Third Parties
There are several different types of third parties that might be liable for your injury. Consider the following examples:
- You lose a finger after a tool you are using malfunctions. In this case, the liable third party could be a manufacturer
- A worker with another construction firm drops something on your head from an elevated height. You could hold the construction company or general contractor liable
- You fall down the stairs after the handrail breaks. The property manager might be liable
Determining whether a third party might be liable for your injuries is difficult. Call the legal team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (561) 899-5020 for help.
My Workers’ Compensation Benefits Claim is Taking a Long Time
Unfortunately, some insurers may try to deny or minimize your claim to avoid paying your workers’ compensation benefits. They may say that your behavior caused your injury, or you weren’t on the job when the injury happened, or your injury was not as serious as you claim. In other cases, they will simply unnecessarily prolong your claim. If the insurer is prolonging your claim unnecessarily, or you already received a denial, you have options. Regardless of the reason you were given, the West Palm Beach workers’ compensation lawyers at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers know what to do to help you obtain the benefits you need.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers Today for Help
If you have been injured at your job and are thinking about filing a workers’ compensation claim, or if you have filed a claim and are not sure what your next steps may be, call the legal team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (561) 899-5020 for a free case evaluation. We are standing by to help.