Nobody likes a long drive to work or back home, especially in traffic on congested freeways. Commuting can affect a drivers’ physical, mental, and emotional state. Unfortunately, many Florida car accidents occur during commute time, as there are more drivers on the road and more aggressive, angry drivers present during this time.
When drivers who commute long distances get stressed and angry at the wheel, they tend to do the following:
- Scrunch up their faces
- Clench their fists
- Flex their arms
- Hold their breath
- Use gestures
While none of the above mentioned things alone can make someone have an auto accident, a person participating in these behaviors is more likely to be angry and aggressive at the wheel, which could increase his or her chances of being in a wreck.
When there are cars bumper to bumper, just remember you are in traffic and that it is no one’s fault.
Safety Tips For Commuting in Florida
- Always wear your seatbelt in the front or back seat. Statistics have shown that seat belts can reduce the chances of injury in an accident.
- Don’t speed. Allow enough time to make it to your appointments.
- Keep your eyes on the road. It is tempting to work while driving home, especially when there is a lot of traffic. Turn off your electronic devices.
- Stay a safe distance from the car ahead of you. Rules state the safest following distance is three seconds in good weather and four seconds in dangerous road conditions. The best way to determine this distance is to start counting when the vehicle in front of you passes a stationary object, you should pass the same object after three seconds.
- If you feel drowsy, pull over in a safe well lit place and do some blood pumping exercises to rejuvenate yourself before hitting the road again.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Always look in your blinds spots before changing lanes.
- Don’t text and drive.
All of the drivers during commuting hours have one thing in common, they all want to make it to work or home safely. Keep this in mind next time you are stuck in traffic!
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269