In slip and fall accident cases, the state of Florida requires claimants to prove that the property owner did not take reasonable precautions to prevent their injury. Because many people do not have a working knowledge of premises liability laws, they elect to work with a personal injury lawyer.
Some of the services that these professionals can deliver include:
- Providing legal advice and assistance to help you understand your rights
- Negotiating on your behalf with the insurance companies and liable party
- Making sure that your documents are filed correctly and on time to the appropriate offices
- Investigating the circumstances of your accident
- Estimating the value of your case so that you accept a settlement that covers your losses
- Fighting for your rights in court, if needed
Every slip and fall case is different and may require different services than the ones we have listed here. The goal of a personal injury lawyer in a slip and fall case is to prove that the property owner in question was negligent, and as a result, should pay for your accident-related costs.
What a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Do for You
In an article on important facts about falls, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that over 800,000 patients are hospitalized each year due to injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents. If you or a loved one was injured in this type of accident, you are likely wondering how you will be able to assign liability and pursue financial recovery.
A Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorney can help with your slip and fall case by:
Estimating the Cost of Your Losses
If you suffered injuries or losses due to a slip and fall accident, a personal injury lawyer will be familiar with legal precedents in cases similar to yours. What this means is that they will have an understanding of what similar slip and fall accident cases have been awarded, and factor that knowledge into your claim.
To help you accept a settlement offer that covers the cost of your damages, they will take information from your medical bills, pay stubs, relevant receipts, and other documents that assign cost.
If your case is successful, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- The cost of rehabilitative therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
A Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer will be able to help you understand more about what compensation in your case might look like. If you do not see an item for which you are seeking coverage for here, we encourage you to share those details with your legal team.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Chances are that following your accident, the insurance company’s initial settlement offer will not cover the full extent of your damages. For this reason, your lawyer will likely enter into negotiations to get you the compensation you need. Unfortunately, not all insurance companies act with the claimants’ best interests in mind.
A lawyer can provide assistance in the following situations:
- Your insurance company is pressuring you into settling for an amount that does not reflect your losses.
- Your insurance company is using manipulative strategies to trick you into admitting fault or downplaying your injuries.
- Your insurance company is requesting information that has nothing to do with your case to deter you from seeking compensation.
Your lawyer will enter the negotiation proceedings understanding what insurance companies do to avoid settling your claim. They can negotiate for the compensation you need to start rebuilding your life.
Preparing Your Case for Trial
Many slip and fall accident cases settle without litigation. However, if your legal team is unable to reach a settlement agreement with the insurance company, then they have the option of taking your case to court. From there, your lawyer will present your case before a judge, and any financial compensation will be given in the form of a court award.
To prepare your case for litigation, your lawyer may:
- Review the evidence found during the investigation
- Have witness statements pointing to the severity of your condition and the accident itself
- Have these witnesses testify in court on your behalf
- Present a case that encompasses the scope of your injuries
Your lawyer may be able to take other measures to promote your case’s success than those we have listed here.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers Today
If you suffered injuries due to a slip and fall accident, you have the right to work with a personal injury lawyer to pursue the cost of your related expenses. At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, we provide all of these services and more when it comes to assigning liability and pursuing compensation.
Keep in mind that you may not have long to act, as the 2019 Florida Statutes only allows four years from the date of your accident to move forward with a civil action. Acting outside of this timeframe will likely jeopardize your claim.
To get started with a free case review, call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (855) 529-0269.
For a free legal consultation, call (855) 529-0269