Holland America Line (Holland America) is one of the cruise lines facing allegations of wrongdoing in relation to their handling of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), and they may be exposed to lawsuits from those who were aboard their COVID-19-affected ship, the MS Zaandam (Zaandam). You could be eligible to bring legal action against Holland America Line if:
- You were a passenger on the MS Zaandam at the time of the COVID-19 outbreak
- You were a crew member on the MS Zaandam at the time of the COVID-19 infection
- Your loved one died because they were infected with COVID-19 on the MS Zaandam, or because of an on-land outbreak linked to the MS Zaandam
- You were ultimately infected during an outbreak linked to the MS Zaandam
If you are considering bringing legal action against Holland America then a Holland America coronavirus lawsuit lawyer may be able to assist you in several ways.
Allegations of Wrongdoing Against Holland America
More than 200 people ultimately became infected with COVID-19 while on board the ship, according to USA Today. It appears that (like many other cruise lines) Holland America was:
- Unprepared for the viral outbreak that ultimately occurred on the Zaandam
- Slow to order ship-wide safety measures that may have slowed the spread of COVID-19 on board
- Potentially negligent in exposing passengers and crew members to immediate risk of infection, which ultimately proved fatal in some cases
The account of two passengers on the MS Zaandam highlights some of the shortcomings that may prompt passengers (potentially including you or a loved one) to bring legal action against Holland America. Potential missteps by Holland America documented in a USA Today account of passengers’ experiences include:
- Allowing the Zaandam to begin its South American journey on March 4, despite the known threat of COVID-19 at that point in time (Passengers noted that they were aware of the threat of the virus—but assumed that traveling was safe since the cruise had not been canceled)
- Telling at least one passenger with an apparent fever that he did not need medical treatment because his ailment was “just a cold”
- Failing to display a legitimate understanding of (or approach to) treating COVID-19 symptoms, as the above anecdote illustrates
- Allowing at least one week to pass before alerting passengers to the seriousness of the COVID-19 threat aboard the Zaandam
This passenger’s account does not constitute the only implied or explicit allegations of wrongdoing against Holland America with respect to COVID-19 prevention and response on the MS Zaandam. A kitchen worker told the New York Times, speaking apparently about the Zaandam, that the ship was “not a safe environment”.
Those Impacted by the Zaandam Outbreak May Take Legal Action
As other cruise lines such as Costa Cruises and Princess Cruises face class action and individual lawsuits, you should know that you may have the right to bring legal action against Holland America Line for any harm you or your loved one suffered.
Your losses related somehow to the MS Zaandam’s alleged mishandling of their COVID-19 outbreak may justify a lawsuit. Such losses may include:
- Medical costs related to a COVID-19 infection linked to the Zaandam
- Lost income stemming from COVID-19 infection originating from the Zaandam
- The death of a loved one whose COVID-19 infection is somehow linked to the Zaandam
- Pain and suffering caused by your experience on the MS Zaandam, regardless of whether you were infected with COVID-19
The ultimate toll of apparent negligence by Holland America was catastrophic, including hundreds of infections and multiple deaths. When such significant consequences arise from actions that appear to be negligent, you may be able to pursue justice through one or more lawsuits.
A Lawyer May Start Your Holland America Lawsuit
If you or your loved one was negatively impacted by the conditions on the COVID-19-stricken MS Zaandam, then a lawyer may be able to assist you in bringing legal action. Some of the responsibilities of a lawyer may include:
- Helping you determine whether you would like to bring an individual or class action lawsuit
- Drafting the paperwork necessary to start your lawsuit and filing the paperwork in the appropriate legal venue
- Collecting evidence of wrongdoing by Holland America Line and any individuals named in your lawsuit
- Organizing a case as to why actions by Holland America qualify as negligence
- Calculating damages that could entitle you to compensation
- Defending your rights
You may be able to collect compensation for your losses through a settlement or judgement. A lawyer will help you pursue any awards to which you may be entitled.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers Today
Our team provides personal, honest representation. You will work directly with our partners, should you choose us to represent you. Call our team at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today at (855) 529-0269 for a free consultation and to learn how a Holland America coronavirus lawsuit lawyer may help you seek justice.