When police engage a suspect in a chase, it can lead to high-speed driving, dangerous maneuvers, and reckless behavior that can harm motorists, including those not involved in the pursuit. Innocent bystanders can get hurt through no fault of their own.
You have options for recovering compensation if you or your loved one suffered injuries during a police chase accident. A Miami car accident lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can help you with an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover your medical expenses, lost wages, and more. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Police Chases Endanger Everyone on the Road
According to a 2023 report from the U.S. Department of Justice, police chases have caused more than 300 crash deaths annually since 2015. The report also states that for every 100 chases, two serious injuries and 10 minor injuries occur. Around one-fifth of the victims are innocent bystanders.
Police pursuits are dangerous for everyone on the road because those involved are likely to engage in careless and reckless driving behaviors. In addition, these behaviors may cause others to perform defensive driving maneuvers that result in collisions. Parties in a chase may:
- Run red lights or stop signs
- Fail to yield the right of way
- Pass illegally
- Travel in the wrong lane
- Drive the wrong way on a one-way street
- Drive on sidewalks, yards, or in other restricted areas
Because chases endanger law enforcement officers, suspects, and innocent motorists, police must consider if the hazards of a pursuit are worth the risk. The Police Executive Research Forum states officers should only initiate a chase if the suspect has committed a violent crime and there is an “imminent threat” they will do so again.
Your Miami personal injury lawyer from our team is waiting; we just need to hear from you.
Find a Miami Police Chase Accidents Lawyer
Near Me (305) 944-2035
We Can Help Your Seek Police Chase Accident Compensation
Florida’s no-fault insurance system requires that most motorists carry a minimum of $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) to pay for medical expenses and a portion of their lost wages after a crash, no matter who or what caused the collision.
If you have PIP, our personal injury lawyers can help you file a claim and seek maximum compensation under your policy. However, if you have severe injuries and damages that exceed your coverage limit, our Miami police chase accident attorneys can seek additional compensation from a liable party, which may include the following:
- Medical bills. We can seek awards for your current and future medical expenses, including hospitalizations, doctor’s visits, medical procedures, physical therapy and rehabilitation, and extended nursing services.
- Lost income. We can recover your lost wages and employment benefits. If you cannot return to work because of a permanent or disabling injury, we can pursue compensation for your lost earning capacity.
- Personal property damages. We will seek the cost of your vehicle repairs to pursue your car’s fair market value if the damages are a total loss. We can also secure compensation for other damaged personal items, such as electronics or jewelry.
- Pain and suffering. These damages compensate for intangible losses, including mental anguish, emotional distress, physical and chronic pain, scarring, disfigurement, and reduced quality of life.
- Wrongful death. If your loved one suffered a fatal injury, our Miami wrongful death lawyers can seek damages on behalf of their estate and survivors. Awards may include medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, loss of your loved one’s services and financial support, and survivors’ mental pain and suffering.
Chalik & Chalik Police Chase Accidents Lawyer Near Me (305) 944-2035
Our Miami Police Chase Lawyers Will Help You Get Back on Your Feet
Our police chase accident lawyers in Miami, FL, will work tirelessly to help you seek financial justice. Our founding partners, Jason and Debi Chalik, personally handle every case with a focus on client service. While you worry about your health and recovery, our law firm will do the following:
- Investigate the cause of your accident and prove liability
- Collect evidence to support your claim
- Identify and calculate your economic and non-economic damages
- Complete and file insurance and legal paperwork
- Handle case-related communications and negotiations
- File a lawsuit and represent you at trial if necessary
Let our family fight for your family. We will aggressively pursue the maximum compensation possible so you have the resources you need to move forward. Contact us to get started today.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Police Chase Accidents Lawyer today
Police Chase Accident Liability
Police chase accident cases can be complex because your best option for securing compensation may be a claim against the involved law enforcement agency. There are often different rules and procedures when taking legal action against a government entity, and you will need to build a robust case proving the decision to give chase was negligent.
Our car accident attorneys can use our firm’s resources and decades of experience to collect evidence to support your claim, which may include the following:
- Police reports
- Cell phone, surveillance, or dashcam video
- Eyewitness statements
- Medical records
- Photographs of your injuries
- Photographs of the damage caused to the involved vehicles
- Charges against the involved suspect/reasons why the officer chose to pursue
- Expert testimony
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Miami, call (305) 944-2035
Florida’s Car Accident Statute of Limitations
According to Florida Statutes § 95.11, you have two years from your accident to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. If you do not pursue your case by the deadline, the court will likely throw out your suit.
You may be able to satisfy your losses with a liability insurance claim against an at-fault party. However, the statute of limitations will still affect you. If you cannot secure a settlement before time runs out, the insurance company will no longer have the threat of legal action to incentivize it to offer you fair compensation. You could end up with reduced or denied payment and no additional options for seeking awards.
Contact Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers for Help With Your Police Chase Claim
Police chases can cause severe injuries to innocent bystanders. If you were hurt because of a pursuit, Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can fight for you. Contact us to schedule a free consultation. Our police chase attorneys in Miami, FL, can take your case for nothing upfront or out of pocket. Connect with a lawyer near you today!
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (305) 944-2035