FREE CONSULTATIONS > PAY NOTHING UNLESS YOU WIN

> SCHEDULE NOW

Medical malpractice lawsuit against hospital after toddler swallows battery

In March 2016, a mother saw her baby daughter swallow a lithium battery. She called 911, and had her baby transported to the hospital, where she insisted that the battery be removed right away. However, the doctor informed the parents that the case was comparable to that of ingesting a coin. In spite of recommendations by poison control centers that the battery be removed within two hours, it was not taken out of the baby until after five hours had elapsed.

As a consequence, the baby suffered an electrical burn in her esophagus, and needed additional surgery. The parents said they have expended between $300,000 and $400,000 on medical expenses for necessary treatment for their baby. In addition, the girl’s mother, who works as a nursing assistant, took a leave of absence from work and went back to work on a part-time basis to enable her to take care of her daughter.

As a result, the parents filed a medical malpractice lawsuit against the physician involved and the Wolfson Children’s Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida. They allege that negligence on the part of the hospital and the doctor caused their 19-month-old baby to suffer serious health problems. As reported by Fox News, the lawsuit alleges that the hospital failed to comply with recommendations by the poison control center, and that Dr. David Smith minimized the perils associated with the incident.

The parents said that the doctors informed them that their daughter may have to seek treatment to extend her esophagus until she is in her late teens. While other toddlers are trying foods of several textures, she is limited to consuming pureed foods, and that has impeded her growth.

If you or someone you know was injured due to the negligence of a doctor or hospital, call the medical malpractice attorneys at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers.

Medical Malpractice