You may have access to a number of resources as you help your child or a close family member cope with the impact of a spinal cord injury. Consider these five factors as you help your loved one recover and adjust to life after a serious accident:
- Medical specialists – Physicians and medical specialists with a focus on spinal cord health and injury are best suited to provide focused care to your injured loved one.
- Psychological and psychiatric care providers – Your loved one may benefit from mental health care to help cope with the emotional repercussions of a spinal cord injury, such as depression, anxiety or anger.
- Physical and occupational therapists – Physical therapy is crucial in helping a spinal cord victim maintain good health and maximize his or her physical capabilities after injury. Occupational therapy is essential to helping an injured patient adapt to life with an injury and may help a victim learn new ways to perform everyday tasks, such grooming and other acts of self-care.
- Social workers – A hospital social worker and other patient advocates – including advocacy organizations – can provide support and resources.
- Transportation assistance – Public transportation may be available to patients who require assistance getting to and from necessary therapy and medical appointments.
Below is an overview of resources for those in Florida who are living with spinal cord injury.
Spinal Cord Injury Specialists and Rehabilitation Resources in Florida
Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program (BSCIP) – http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/brain-and-spinal-cord-injuries/index.html, 850-245-4444 – A division of the Florida Department of Health, this entity is focused on matching spinal cord injury victims with medical and other resources.
NeuroRestorative, various locations – www.neurorestorative.com, 800-743-6802 – A variety of facilities located around Florida provide inpatient and outpatient care and rehabilitation for victims of spinal cord injuries. Facilities are located in Avalon Park (Orlando area), Brandon, Clearwater, Lutz (Tampa area) and Sarasota.
Pinecrest Rehabilitation Hospital, 5360 Linton Blvd., Delray Beach – http://www.delraymedicalctr.com/en-US/ourServices/medicalServices/PinecrestRehabilitationandOutpatientHospital/Pages/default.aspx, 561-495-0400 – A 90-bed facility affiliated at Delray Medical Center providing inpatient care to those recovering after spinal cord injury.
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer,
Near Me (855) 529-0269
Patient Advocacy and Support Groups in Florida
Brooks Spinal Cord Support Group, 3599 University Blvd. South, Jacksonville – www.brookshealth.org, 904-345-7238 – A support group for patients coping with spinal cord injury. Meetings are scheduled for 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. on the last Thursday of every month.
Broward Spinal Cord Injury Support Group, 10199 NW 44th St., Sunrise – 954-367-8820 – A support group that meets from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. the first Tuesday of every month.
Endless Possibilities, 2728 Lake Worth Rd., Lake Worth – 561-966-7021 – A peer-support group focused on providing recreational and sporting opportunities for those who use wheelchairs or other assistive mobility devices. The organization also participates in community awareness and fundraising activities.
Greater Orlando Spinal Cord Injury Network, 100 West Gore St., Orlando – www.goscin.com, 407-900-6724 – A nonprofit group providing services and assistance to those living with spinal cord injury in the greater Orlando area. Services include community outreach, employment assistance and more.
Transportation Resources for Those with Spinal Cord Injury
Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged – www.dot.state.fl.us/ctd, 850-410-5700 – This organization provides transportation options for Florida residents whose injuries or other factors prevent independent transportation.
If you’re in need of legal assistance, contact Chalik & Chalik at 855-529-0269 to set up a consultation where you can discuss the legal options you may have if an accident caused your or your loved one’s spinal cord injury.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269