Not surprisingly, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) in the United States are a leading cause of death and disability. As reported in 2021 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 69,000 TBI-related deaths occurred. If someone in your family has a TBI, you could receive compensation for your injury.
Many different types of accidents can cause TBIs. Discussing the matter with a Fort Lauderdale traumatic brain injury lawyer from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can be helpful. Our catastrophic injury team understands the devastating effect that a TBI can have on your family, and our family is ready to help your family.
Levels of Compensation Involving a Traumatic Brain Injury
You could receive compensation if your injury was someone else’s fault. When a TBI is involved, compensation may vary significantly based on the severity of the TBI and the recovery period. We can only provide a detailed list of what you might receive after a case evaluation, but we frequently see compensation recovered in the following general areas:
- Medical Expenses: Reimbursement for medical costs can include ambulance transportation, medical procedures, surgery, follow-up care, and other out-of-pocket expenses you incur. In some instances, compensation might include home nursing care and home modification
- Property Damage: When a TBI results from a vehicle accident, repair or replacement of your vehicle and any contents damaged in the collision should be recoverable.
- Lost Wages: We’ll obtain previous wage statements to estimate the amount you lost while out of work. We will also include projected future earnings or an allotment for a lower future wage if you return to work in a limited capacity due to your injury. If you lost a raise, commissions, or bonuses due to an accident, we could also request compensation for those losses.
- Emotional Trauma: Compensation in this area accounts for pain, suffering, and mental anguish associated with any severe injury. One of the most significant parts of dealing with a catastrophic injury is the emotional toll on you and your family during recovery. Head injuries can create changes in relationship status, the ability of a parent to assist with child-rearing, and many profound changes that affect you and those closest to you.
A Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL, Can Help With a Wrongful Death Case
When a TBI results in your family suffering an incalculable loss, the family might be able to get compensation. Only certain people can file a claim following a death. Discussing the matter with a wrongful death attorney to determine what compensation is available and who can file for benefits is helpful. Recoverable expenses may fall into some of the following areas:
- Funeral Costs: These can include a funeral service, casket, cremation or burial expenses, an urn, a cemetery plot, and a headstone.
- Final Medical Expenses: If your family member received any attempted life-saving medical treatment before succumbing to their injury, your family should receive compensation for those costs.
- Property Damage: In vehicle accidents, the family should recover so the vehicle may be repaired or replaced.
- Lost Wages: When a decedent was the head of the household, losing that expected financial support can devastate a family. Sometimes, we can request compensation for losing financial support to help keep your family afloat during this crisis.
Find a Fort Lauderdale Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Near Me (954) 476-1000
The Benefits of Finding Legal Representation
Legal representation is available with our personal injury team. When we partner with you, our team will handle all the details of your case and can visit you at your location if you can’t come to us. Tasks we take care of can include the following:
- Assessing the value of your case
- Organizing your documentation
- Investigating the circumstances of your injury
- Collecting evidence to support your case
- Determining who was at fault and bears liability
- Filing necessary paperwork on time
- Keeping you and your family updated with progress reports
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Representing you in court appearances
When we represent you, you will work directly with one of our partners, Jason and Debi, as your traumatic brain injury attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Our No-Risk Guarantee to Your Family
We understand why you might have hesitation in seeking legal counsel. Money is already tight. You have an increasing pile of expenses. The good news is that our family offers a zero-risk opportunity for you to have legal representation without any upfront costs.
Our contingency fee arrangement means we work on your case and only expect payment from you if we win. Our fees and reimbursement for case-related expenses will come out of a settlement check or court award after the successful resolution of your case.
Chalik & Chalik Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Near Me (954) 476-1000
We Must Work Under a Deadline to File Your Lawsuit
The statute of limitations in Florida will vary. Because of the broad scope of this type of injury, it may fall under a personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death, or another type of lawsuit (Florida Statutes § 95.11).
Discussing the matter with a traumatic brain injury lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL, is beneficial to ensure adherence to the correct statute of limitation for your specific injury.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer today
What Causes a Traumatic Brain Injury?
According to Mayo Clinic, TBIs can happen when a person suffers a fall, is involved in a car accident, has a workplace accident, and many other ways. They typically result from a blow to the head, however, a TBI can result from a quick neck snap that causes the brain to hit the skull without an actual blow. Penetrating TBIs occur when something like a gunshot or other foreign object pierces the skull.
TBIs might involve a mild headache or slight concussion but can also be more severe, leading to a coma or death. Any time a head injury occurs, medical attention is recommended. Recent studies have confirmed that repeated minor head injuries can cause long-term damage, such as sports injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Fort Lauderdale, call (954) 476-1000
Get Your Free Case Review with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers
When you need a Fort Lauderdale traumatic brain injury lawyer, you can count on Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to keep your family’s interests in mind. Our TBI team will work tirelessly to ensure we attend to every detail of your case. Contact us to begin your free case review.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (954) 476-1000