Fox 35 Orlando reports that a car crash that led to a gas leak caused the car to catch fire and shut down a roadway in Windermere.
The incident occurred about three days ago in a Windermere neighborhood.
At about 2 a.m., neighbor Aubrey Birden said she heard a loud boom and then felt the ground vibrate. She and other family members went outside to see the accident and saw a car engulfed in flames. They later learned that the car belonged to a neighbor who was able to get out of the vehicle relatively uninjured.
The Florida Highway Patrol said that 34-year-old Meredith Chambers lost control of her vehicle on Fiquette Road. She left the roadway and crashed into a power pole, which caused the car to flip. A gas line was damaged in the collision, which caused the car to catch fire.
The road needed to be shut down for hours as firefighters and gas crews got the fire and the leak under control. Power was also lost in the neighborhood for about seven hours as the power company worked to restore it.
The leak and the fire have been contained and Fiquette Road has reopened after being closed for hours.
As it turns out, natural gas generally leaks out everywhere, and in most cases, it is relatively harmless. Unless an outdoor leak is discovered within five feet of an enclosed building, they aren’t given much thought. Leaks that are 5 to 15 feet may receive a checkup every six months. More than 15 feet from a building and the leak may not even be given any special attention. The truth is that unless someone catches that rotten egg odor, which is actually from an additive so that we can actually detect a leak, natural gas leaks typically escapes up into the atmosphere and doesn’t cause much of a problem.