Parenting is Tough – You Don’t Have to Do It Alone: Parenting Groups in South Florida
Posted on January 30, 2014 | Categorized: Parents Corner
No one ever said parenting would be easy; in fact, it can get quite overwhelming at times. What daycare should I choose? What do I do if my child is being bullied? How do I make my teen understand the dangers of texting and driving? Where do I go for support when my child is disabled?
Parenting is really a never-ending journey marked by frequent twists and turns, ups and downs. There are no words to describe the benefits of being a parent though. Fortunately, when you need help, South Florida offers numerous resources for parents.
General Resources for Parents in South Florida
If you have a need, chances are, you can find a support group in South Florida to help. Whether you want to find a playgroup, a mom-to-mom discussion group, or a support group for parents of kids with disabilities, there are resources available. Here’s is just a small sampling:
- Family Central – Has a bunch of services and programs for parents. Its mission is to “promote children’s success by providing quality family support and educational services.” Visit them online or on Facebook.
- Meetup.com Playgroup – Moms exchange parenting advice, and the kids play. Meets on Tuesdays at The Gathering Place on 5810 Biscayne Boulevard in Miami.
- Empty Arms: Pregnancy & Infant Loss – A free support group that offers support and counseling for families that have experienced the death of a baby. Also meets at The Gathering Place.
- Support Groups for Parents of Twins/Multiples – Three local groups for parents of multiples include: Parents of Multiples/West Broward (firstname.lastname@example.org); Mothers of Multiples (954-344-3344); and Boca Raton Mothers of Multiples (561-368-1616).
Resources for Parents of Children with Disabilities
If your child is disabled, there are dozens of helpful resources available. Here are a few that we’ve come across:
- CCDH (305-596-1160);
- Florida Respite Care (407-740-8909);
- Parent to Parent of Miami, Inc. (305-271-9797);
- Children’s Diagnostic and Treatment Center (954-728-8080);
- Child Find (754-321-2204);
- Siblings of Children with Special Needs (954-262-6900); and
- God’s Little Acres (954-984-0787).
Finding Fun Things to Do as a Family
In addition to support groups, South Florida is a great place for family fun. There is always some sort of event going on where you and your kids can have a good time, let off some steam, and strengthen your family bonds.
The Sun-Sentinel’s South Florida Parenting is an excellent local resource to stay up to date on local family events. Some recent local events include things like:
- First Saturday at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum;
- Plays and concerts at tons of venues around South Florida;
- Train Rides on the Edwin Link Children’s Railroad; and
- Nature Explorer Activities at the Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital.
More Tips for Parents
We are fortunate to have so many resources for parenting in the area – we don’t have to do this alone. We even offer a more articles for parents in our Parents’ Corner, so head over and check it out.