Workers who perform repetitive motions in the workplace are at risk of repetitive stress injuries. Back pain is one of the more common musculoskeletal disorders because many workers perform repetitive motion that put stress on the back muscles.
Workers in jobs requiring them to do the following may be at risk for repetitive stress injuries.
- Stand for long periods of time
- Carry heavy loads
Some suffer back pain after an accident that causes an acute injury, like falling from a ladder.
Exercises to Relieve Back Pain
A worker who suffers a work injury that causes back pain may apply for workers’ compensation benefits to pay for medical treatment. Apart from the medical care, medication and physical therapy that your treatment will include, you can also perform exercises that may stretch and strengthen back muscles.
Below is an overview of some of the exercises that Prevention magazine notes may be helpful.
- Stretching: Stretching is an excellent exercise for back pain. It helps improve flexibility of muscles in the back. You may not see the results of the stretching exercises immediately but over a period of time, you may find improvement in your range of motion.
- Yoga: Physical therapists also recommend yoga to help deal with symptoms of back pain. Yoga combines stretching exercises and balance poses that help strengthen muscles, relieve stress and tension, and improve flexibility.
- Strength training: Strength training involves the use of weight (like dumbbells, machines, or body weight) or resistance to improve strength in the back muscles. It can also help regain function in muscles that have become stiff or sore.
- Pilates: Pilates is a training program that helps improve core strength, muscular imbalances, and encourages flexibility, thereby helping alleviate the symptoms of back pain.
While these exercises may ultimately prove helpful in reducing symptoms, do not begin any exercise program without consulting your doctor. Some exercises might not be appropriate for certain patients.
For a free legal consultation, call (855) 646-5468
Get Help from a Work Injury Lawyer at Chalik & Chalik
If you suffered a back injury, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits that pay for medical expenses and other costs. A third-party liability claim may help you recover even more damages if a party other than an employer or coworker is to blame for your injuries.
If you have not yet begun receiving these benefits, speak to a workers’ compensation lawyer at Chalik and Chalik. Give us a call at 855-529-0269 or use our online contact form.