If you suffer from chronic sleep apnea, crawling into bed can often be a traumatic experience because you know that your breathing could stop and start all through the night – for up to 30 seconds at a time. That’s why your doctor prescribed a CPAP breathing machine to help you breathe normally while offering you a sense of security during sleep.
Unfortunately, your life-saving machine may also be the cause of other severe health issues. In June 2021, Philips Respironics recalled many of its CPAP machines due to toxic foam degradation. A Tampa Philips CPAP lawsuit lawyer from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can help. If you suspect your Philips CPAP machine has damaged your health, our team can investigate your case and seek the compensation you deserve.
Why Are Philips CPAP Machines being Recalled?
In 2015, Philips conducted in-house testing on their breathing machines lined with polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) foam. From the testing, Philips learned that the PE-PUR foam could break down over time, and tiny foam particles can enter the air hose that connects the face mask to the machine.
As a result, during a user’s sleep, they can inhale or swallow these minuscule particles or the chemical fumes emitted by the synthetic foam particles. The particles and fumes can cause several health injuries, such as various cancers and respiratory problems.
Find a Florida Philips CPAP Lawyer
Near Me (855) 529-0269
When Was the Philips Respironics Recall Issued?
The official recall of specific Philips CPAP machines was issued in June 2021, even though Philips first identified PE-PUR as a dangerous issue to their consumer’s health in 2015, per the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Instead of immediately alerting their customers of health risks, Philips Respironics kept quiet.
Six years later, Philips Respironics finally issued a recall. Plaintiffs in CPAP lawsuits are now seeking to hold Philips accountable for its failure to warn consumers in a timely manner.
What does a Class 1 Product Recall Mean?
The short answer is: This recall is serious.
When the FDA discovered that Philips Respironics was manufacturing their breathing machines with harmful synthetic foam, they classified the recall as “Class 1.”
Chalik & Chalik Philips CPAP Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
Are You Suffering from New Illnesses Since Using a CPAP Machine?
The following health conditions include a partial list of illnesses presently attributed to the defective CPAP machines:
- Asthma and respiratory damage
- Cancer, such as bladder, brain, breast, liver, lung, kidney, lymphatic, nasal, prostate, stomach, testicular, thyroid, rectal, and leukemia
- Skin irritation and inflammation response
If you developed a serious illness after using a defective machine manufactured by Philips Respironics, you might have grounds for filing a lawsuit against the company.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Philips CPAP Lawyer today
How Our Tampa CPAP Lawsuit Lawyers Can Help You
Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers has been defending our client’s rights in personal injury and accident cases for decades. Our attorneys also know how to handle product recall lawsuits. We have won millions in results for past clients who were victimized by a corporation’s negligence.
Our lawyers know product liability law and know how to build a strong case for our clients. Specifically, we will work hard to prove that your Philips CPAP machine resulted in health complications. Our team can help you show that:
- You used a Philips CPAP machine affected by the product recall.
- You were injured as a direct result.
- You suffered damages, such as medical bills, lost income, and more.
Our attorneys are ready to stand up for your rights against Philips and get you the compensation you deserve so you can move forward.
Our Attorneys Will Help You Seek Compensation for Your Losses
We will work to learn how a CPAP machine affected your health and your life. Then, we will seek the compensation you need to cover your past, present, and future losses. You could be eligible to seek damages for:
- Medical bills: Treating your health condition could require months of medical care. You could recover the cost of chemotherapy, emergency room bills, doctors’ visits, medications, surgeries, and more.
- Lost wages: You could recover missed paychecks you could not earn because of your health condition.
- Reduced earning capacity: If you had to take a different job or work fewer hours, you could recover this loss.
- Pain and suffering: You could have faced serious pain as a result of your health condition.
Financial settlements available for victims depend on a number of factors in your case, such as how severely your health has been affected by your defective breathing machine.
Call Our Team for a Free Case Review
If you developed severe health issues after using a recalled CPAP machine, call our team for a free, no-obligation consultation. You can expect:
- To get your questions answered
- A legal assessment on whether you have grounds to file a lawsuit against Philips Respironics
- A full explanation of the legal process, should you decide to move forward
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Florida, call (855) 529-0269
What Should I Do If I Have a Philips CPAP Machine?
If you have a Philips Respironics CPAP breathing machine that was recalled, your health may be compromised by a defective device.
To find out if your particular machine is on the “recall list,” do the following:
- Remove all attachments to the machine (such as a humidifier).
- Look for a label affixed to the machine (usually on the bottom) that has a serial number printed on it.
- Write the number (and letters) down.
- Go to this website: http://www.philips.com/src-update.
Follow the directions above to determine whether your CPAP machine is a part of the recall list. If your product serial number is on the recall list, call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers in Tampa. Your attorney can also help you determine if you have a device affected by the recall.
You should also speak with your doctor to determine if you need to discontinue using the machine. Your doctor can also recommend alternative therapies for treating your sleep apnea.
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers for a Free Ccase Review
If you believe you have suffered an injury to your health due to a recalled Philips CPAP machine or any other Philips Respironics product, you may have the right to file a lawsuit.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (855) 529-0269