Thousands of car accidents happen every day, causing property damage, injury, and loss of life. The negligent party should be held accountable. If you or someone you love has suffered a car accident in St. Petersburg, FL, it can be overwhelming to know what actions to take following the car accident.
For a St. Petersburg car accident lawyer, call the Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today at (855) 529-0269 and receive a risk-free consultation. We want to help your family by reviewing your case and identifying what options you have available for recovering damages.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL
Many negligent actions can cause accidents, but we wanted to share with you just a few of the most common in St. Petersburg, FL:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents today. It can be the result of looking at a cell phone, talking to the passenger next to you or in the back seat, changing the radio station, or just admiring the scenery around you.
- Alcohol or drugs: According to Florida Highway Safety, over 5,000 accidents occur every year involving alcohol and hundreds that are the result of drug use. Those accidents resulted in thousands of injuries and, sadly, hundreds of fatalities.
- Speeding: When a driver speeds, he reduces his ability to react in time to avoid an accident. He also increases the likelihood of severe injury or fatality since the impact of a collision will cause more damage.
- Reckless driving: We include several negligent behaviors under the category of reckless driving, including aggressive driving, tailgating, and running traffic lights.
If you have been the victim of a negligent driver, you have rights. Call the Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today at (855) 529-0269. We offer a free, no-risk consultation so you can learn what your options are in pursuing damages after your accident.
St. Petersburg Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving St. Petersburg, call (855) 646-5468
Types of Injuries Commonly Associated With Car Accidents
Hundreds of thousands of injuries are reported annually by Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). Here are some examples of possible injuries:
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): TBIs can cause severe and long-lasting side effects and symptoms. Suffering a head injury, especially a TBI, can make normal daily functions difficult or impossible.
- Herniated discs: This occurs when the vertebrae in your spine shifts due to an impact. The discs between the vertebrae can rupture, causing intense pain and limiting normal movement.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are painful and require an extended period of healing.
- Whiplash: This is a traumatic strain of the muscles and soft tissue in the neck.
- Psychological pain, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): The result of a car accident can reach far beyond physical injury. When a victim is suffering from psychological pain or PTSD, his normal routine may be unachievable.
- Broken ribs: An injury like broken ribs can require prolonged periods of bed rest and even makes breathing very difficult and painful.
- Internal bleeding: Victims suffering from internal bleeding require immediate medical attention as this injury could lead to death.
- Knee injuries: Knee injuries could require rehabilitation, surgery, or the need to wear a brace. They are painful, require rest, and cause loss of normal function.
- Scrapes, bruises, and cuts: Although these injuries are not usually serious, they can occur on the face, neck, arms, and legs, impacting the victim’s mental health. If not appropriately treated, scrapes and cuts leave the victim at risk for infection.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (855) 646-5468
Damages You Can Recover From a Car Accident
The amount of compensation you can receive from your claim cannot be estimated, but as a victim of a car accident, you have the right to pursue damages. In Florida, you should insist on having a member of a law enforcement agency complete a full crash report.
If you have been in a car accident in St. Petersburg, FL, the damages you may be entitled to include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Personal property damages
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages if forced to miss work
- Future wages if you are unable to return to work
If you have lost a family member because of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover damages from a wrongful death claim. Some of the most common damages you may be entitled to include:
- Funeral costs
- Medical expenses
- Loss of wages and benefits
- Loss of support and protection
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. These damages are intended to punish the defendant for gross negligence.
If you have lost a family member as a result of a car accident and would like to discuss your claim with a St. Petersburg car accident lawyer, call the Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today at (855) 529-0269 for a free review of your case.
Florida’s Statute of Limitations Could Impact Your Case
Florida law (VIII.95.11) places limits on the amount of time that victims have to pursue damages after a car accident. In most cases, you have four years for personal injury claims and two years for wrongful death claims. If you miss these deadlines, you may no longer be able to pursue the compensation you would otherwise be entitled to recover. A lawyer can help you ensure your paperwork is filed within the appropriate deadline.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
A St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer Could Help
Our team is well equipped to investigate and gather the necessary evidence to support your claim. We will collect the police and medical reports as well as eyewitness statements so we can demonstrate the negligence of the liable party in your case.
We can negotiate your claim with the insurance companies on your behalf and pursue the maximum amount of compensation for your damages. If an agreeable settlement cannot be made, we will fight for your case in court.
A car accident in St. Petersburg, FL, can have long-term consequences that change you and your family’s life. Contact the Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers today at (855) 529-0269 for a free evaluation or to get started immediately.