Dog bites can cause serious injuries and infections. The medical bills from such an incident can add up quickly, and you may be forced to take off work to recover. Don’t think you have to pay off these costs on your own, as you may be able to hold the negligent dog owner liable.
Taking legal action after a dog bite is no easy task, so allow a Boca Raton dog bite lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to champion your case. They will study relevant laws, create an evidence file, and pursue compensation for you. You can learn more about how we can help you during a free consultation with one of our staff members.
Forms of Compensation You Can Collect After a Dog Bite in Boca Raton
How much compensation you can seek and which forms of it will all be based on the facts of your case. Nevertheless, some common forms of damages that dog bite victims win are:
- Past and expected medical bills: If you needed emergency services, hospitalization, medications, lab tests, assistive equipment, or ongoing doctors’ appointments
- Pain and suffering: If your injuries are so painful and distressing that you can’t go about your usual activities
- Scarring and disfigurement: If the dog bite injury impacted the way you look or your movements
- Lost wages: For your lost earnings, benefits, and other forms of income you couldn’t earn due to your injuries and/or treatment
- Potential income loss: For the money you won’t be able to earn if you can’t return to your previous job
Tragically, some people succumb to their dog bite injuries. You and your family could have grounds to file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit if that was the case for your loved one. Some available damages may be funeral costs, end-of-life medical bills, and loss of financial support, services, and/or consortium.
How Long You Have to Seek Damages After a Dog Bite in Florida
If you want to take legal action following a dog bite in Florida, know that you are only given a certain amount of time. Your deadline is based on the nature of your case. To illustrate:
- Personal injury claimants are usually given two years to file a lawsuit, per Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a)
- In most cases, those who lost a loved one to a dog bite injury have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit, according to Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d)
Given enough notice, our lawyers can help you meet the applicable deadline. If you delay and miss it, the state will probably refuse to hear your case and ultimately bar you from seeking damages.
Find a Boca Raton Dog Bite Lawyer
Near Me (561) 826-4000
How a Dog Bite Lawyer From Our Boca Raton Office Can Assist You
Getting medical care for your dog bite injuries should be your top priority, so leave managing your case to our lawyers. They will:
- Create a case file that comprises evidence, such as the incident report, photos of your dog bite injuries, available video footage, and your medical records
- Display the dog owner’s negligence
- Deal with all correspondence with the owner’s insurer and/or legal team
- Negotiate a settlement that fairly compensates you
- Take your case before a jury, if necessary
We will also provide you with regular updates about the status of your claim or lawsuit. Even so, if you have questions or reservations about anything regarding the legal process, don’t be shy to reach out to your lawyer. We are here to help you.
The Payment Method We Use for Our Legal Services in Boca Raton
There’s no need to worry about affording a lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers on your side. Our firm works based on contingency, so we don’t require:
- Upfront or out-of-pocket fees
- Hourly rates
If we obtain a financial award for you, we will take our fee from that figure. Otherwise, we don’t charge you a dime. As a result, working under this payment arrangement decreases your financial risk.
Chalik & Chalik Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (561) 826-4000
Dog Bite Laws in Florida
Palm Beach County requires all dogs to be on a leash or otherwise restrained when on public property. If a dog owner failed to abide by this law and their dog bites you, Florida Statutes § 767.04 dictates that they are liable for your damages. It doesn’t matter if this is the first time that said dog bit someone, as Florida does not operate under the “one-bite rule.”
However, the dog owner’s portion of responsibility may be reduced if:
- The dog bite victim contributed to their injuries (e.g., provoked the dog)
- They displayed a “Bad Dog” sign on their property, warning passerby
When we build your case, our lawyers will demonstrate that the owner was negligent and that you are entitled to fair compensation.
Click to contact Chalik & Chalik's Dog Bite Lawyer today
Steps to Take Following a Dog Bite Incident in Boca Raton
The most important thing you can do following a dog bite is to get medical attention. Dogs carry a lot of germs and sometimes diseases. Once the dog bites the skin, that bacteria can get into the body and cause infections, such as:
Once they examine you, the doctor may prescribe you antibiotics and request you follow up with them. Make sure you follow their orders precisely, as doing so will ensure that you are in good health. In addition, visiting the doctor will show that the dog bite incident was a direct cause of your injuries. As a result, the insurance company won’t have much reason to dispute your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a Chalik & Chalik lawyer serving Boca Raton, call (561) 826-4000
Put Your Boca Raton Dog Bite Case in Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers’ Hands
All dog owners are to keep everyone’s safety in mind and make sure that their dogs are restrained, especially if their dogs are considered to be dangerous. You have the right to hold them accountable if they ignored their obligation.
A personal injury lawyer with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can review your case and explore your options for compensation with you. We pride ourselves on providing honest and personalized legal advocacy. To find out more, reach out to us at (561) 826-4000. The first call is complimentary.
Call or text Chalik & Chalik (561) 826-4000