Hit and run accidents in Florida are more common than you may think. In 2017, the Florida Highway Patrol reported more than 98,000 hit and run crashes occurred.
If you have been the victim in a hit and run accident, you do not have to face the mounting medical bills and extended time away from work that follows on your own. Look for a hit and run accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL, from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers to fight for your right to recover compensation for your injuries.
Call us as soon as possible at (855)976-9409 so we can begin working on your behalf. We will meet with you for a free initial consultation about the particular elements of your case.
What to Do After a Florida Accident
According to Florida law (XXIII.316.061), drivers must stay at the scene after a crash occurs. Should a driver leave the scene, that driver may be guilty of a hit and run and be subject to criminal charges.
Many drivers do not obey this law. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reports that almost 25% of all crashes in the state end up as a hit and run investigation.
Steps to Follow for Victims
If you have been the victim of a hit and run accident, it is important to protect your health and your ability to seek compensation down the road. Here are some things your hit and run accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL, can recommend doing after the accident:
- Call the authorities: even if you do not have a lot of details regarding what happened in the accident, call the police and report the hit and run accident. A police report is important for establishing the details of your case.
- Seek medical attention: your healthcare provider can help you discover the extent of your injuries. We recommend visiting a doctor even if you believe your injuries to be minor—some injuries take time to fully develop, and it will be easier to connect these to your accident later if you have a medical visit on record.
- Take notes: if you are able, jot down anything you can remember about the other vehicle while the crash is still fresh in your mind. Helpful details include the color and model of the car—or, better yet, its license plate number.
- Do not downplay your injuries: avoid describing your injuries to insurance adjusters until you have received a medical diagnosis from a doctor.
- Seek legal help: contact a hit and run accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL, to ensure your rights are protected as you seek to recover damages from the accident.
Potential Hit and Run Accident Injuries
A hit and run driver could strike another vehicle, a pedestrian, a cyclist, or personal property. Victims may suffer injuries in any of these situations.
Even if the accident was several days ago, you still can seek medical care. Some injuries may become more painful and prominent days after the accident.
Potential injuries after a hit and run accident include:
- Injuries to the head, neck, or spine
- Broken bones
- Torn muscles and ligaments
- Cuts and bruises
- Disfiguring injuries or limb amputations
- Skin burns
- Injuries to internal organs
- Mental anguish, PTSD, and depression
These are not the only examples of potential injuries you may have suffered. Contact Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (855)976-9409, and we can help you seek damages for issues now and down the road.
Fort Lauderdale Lawyer Near Me (855) 529-0269
Dealing with Insurance Companies
If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, you may be concerned that it will be difficult to recover damages from the driver who fled the scene.
While you cannot pursue damages against the hit and run driver directly until they are identified, you can still rely on your own insurance coverage for compensation.
Drivers in the state of Florida must carry personal injury protection (PIP) auto insurance. By carrying a policy with PIP coverage, you can receive compensation for your medical care and lost wages, even if the other driver flees the scene and is never found.
Another type of coverage that can help you in this situation is called uninsured motorist coverage or underinsured motorist coverage. Your lawyer can review your insurance policy and discuss the options that may be available to you given the specifics of your case.
Negotiations with Insurance
You probably expect your own insurance company to treat you fairly, but this may not end up being the case. Your company may interpret your policy differently from your understanding, or it may not always listen to your concerns about your long-term health after the injury
Having a hit and run lawyer from Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers on your side can protect your rights in a case like this. We can assist you with paperwork, phone calls, and understanding insurance jargon.
Depending on the circumstances of your hit and run accident, you may receive compensation for items including:
- Medical visits after the accident
- Long-term medical care
- Medications and equipment
- Pain and suffering
- A reduction in your quality of life
- Lost current and future wages
- Wrongful death
Count on us to help you pursue the settlement or judgment that takes your immediate and your future injuries, losses, and other expenses into account.
Contact Us Today
Call Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers at (855)976-9409 to discuss the unique aspects of your case. We understand how Florida state law works in cases like this, and we can represent your interests in court and when dealing with insurance companies.
A hit and run case can be a scary situation, but we will be on your side. We do not get paid unless you do. Call us, and our partners will begin working with you directly right away.