There are class action lawsuits against cruise lines for mishandling coronavirus, as well as several individual lawsuits. Some of the cruise lines named as defendants in coronavirus-related lawsuits are:
- Costa Cruises, according to USA Today
- Princess Cruises, per Fox Business
- Carnival Cruise Line, which is the parent company of multiple cruise lines that were hosts of coronavirus outbreaks
- Royal Caribbean International, according to CBS News
If you or a loved one was infected or put at risk on board a cruise ship where a coronavirus outbreak occurred, then you may be eligible for a lawsuit. Contact a Florida attorney with experience handling class action suits to discuss your legal rights and next steps.
How Cruise Lines Put Passengers and Crew at Risk
Every individual class action or solo lawsuit against cruise lines contains different, specific allegations, but there are some common themes throughout the lawsuits. From a broad perspective, passengers and crew members are alleging that:
- Some cruise lines may have been aware of previous coronavirus cases on board a vessel yet allowed new members to board the ship without conducting deep sanitization of the ship
- Cruise ship leadership was slow in implementing safety precautions, such as ship-wide quarantine and mandatory face coverings once possible cases of coronavirus came to light
- Cruise lines did not equip their vessels with necessities, such as gloves and masks, that have proven critical to minimizing the spread of coronavirus
- Cruise lines continued to put crew members in high-risk positions without proper safety gear
These are a few allegations present in existing coronavirus-related lawsuits against cruise lines. If you believe you were placed at risk by a cruise line during the COVID-19 pandemic, speak with a coronavirus cruise ship attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options.
The Details of Specific Coronavirus Cruise Ship Lawsuits
While there is widespread criticism of the cruise industry’s handling of the coronavirus, specific cruise lines and cruise ships are being accused of different transgressions.
Lawsuits have accused Costa Cruises of:
- Failing to inform passengers on the Costa Luminosa ship of individuals who departed from the boat because of coronavirus-like symptoms, per USA Today.
- Reboarding the ship after sick passengers departed without properly sanitizing the vessel
- Exposing passengers and crew to extreme risk of coronavirus infection and death, which ultimately occurred
Those suing Princess Cruises allege that:
- Passengers boarding boats such as the Grand Princess, Diamond Princess, and Coral Princess should have been alerted to the possibility of coronavirus infection, according to Fox Business
- Princess Cruises alerted passengers who had already left the ship of their possible exposure to coronavirus but did not alert those who were on the ship at the time of similar risk
- Crew members on the Diamond Princess knew of the viral outbreak yet failed to take necessary safety precautions to prevent further transmission of the virus
Royal Caribbean International faces allegations of:
- Being responsible for the death of at least one crew member due to general mishandling of the coronavirus, according to CBS News
- Waiting six days to test a now-deceased crew member who exhibited signs of the coronavirus, according to TIME
It is possible, if not likely, that lawsuits will continue to arise as passengers and crew members on cruise ships affected by the coronavirus realize that their lives were put at risk, whether they were ultimately infected or not.
You or a Loved One May Be Eligible to File a Lawsuit
As more lawsuits emerge, it is becoming clear that cruise lines may be held liable for certain negligent actions during the COVID pandemic. Some circumstances that may qualify you to join a class action lawsuit or bring a lawsuit on your own include:
- You were personally infected with coronavirus while aboard a cruise ship.
- Your loved one was infected with coronavirus while aboard a cruise ship and became ill or died as a result.
- You or your loved one were not infected but were aboard a cruise ship where a coronavirus outbreak occurred.
- You or a loved one was infected because of an outbreak linked to a cruise ship.
If you suspect that you may be eligible to become a plaintiff in a lawsuit, or you have further questions about a class action lawsuit against cruise lines for mishandling coronavirus, then seeking assistance from a lawyer may be beneficial to you.
How a Lawyer May Assist You
If you are considering joining a class action lawsuit or bringing an individual lawsuit, a lawyer may be able to:
- Refer you to existing class action lawsuits for which you are eligible
- Initiate an individual lawsuit on your behalf
- Collect evidence of wrongdoing by the defendant(s) named in your lawsuit
- Represent you in settlement negotiations or at trial
- Defend your legal rights
To ensure that you receive the representation you need, be sure to choose an attorney who is familiar with coronavirus cases against cruise ships, especially class action lawsuits. Don’t hesitate to ask questions about your attorney’s expertise.
Damages You May Be Able to Claim
You could be facing various losses stemming from coronavirus-related negligence by a cruise line, and you may be entitled to compensation for those losses. Damages you can claim in an injury lawsuit against a cruise line include:
- Cruise ship fare and travel expenses incurred due to COVID exposure
- Remuneration for tickets, reservations, hotel bookings, and other prepaid activities missed due to coronavirus exposure on the cruise ship
- Hospital bills and medical costs for COVID contracted while on the cruise ship
- Mental and emotional anguish due to COVID exposure
- Treatment for trauma relating to COVID exposure because of negligent cruise line practices
- Lost income because of COVID contracted on the cruise ship
- Long-term health care for COVID and related medical issues
- Medical devices, medication, and assistive equipment for long COVID treatment
- Any other losses incurred due to negligent actions on the part of the cruise ship company or its employees
If you or a loved one suffered physical, emotional, or financial injury because of the cruise ship’s failure to properly handle a COVID outbreak, you have a legal right to seek reparation for your losses. A personal injury attorney familiar with cruise ship practices, injury law, and consumer class actions can help you determine the best way to proceed with your claim.
Cost of Filing a Class Action Lawsuit Against Cruise Lines for Mishandling Coronavirus
Whether you file a class action lawsuit or an individual personal injury lawsuit, you do not pay for the lawsuit up front. Instead, your attorney will operate on a contingency basis, which means that the attorney receives a fair percentage of the final settlement or court award once the lawsuit is complete.
A personal injury lawyer at Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers can provide you with a free case evaluation, advise of your legal rights for compensation, and help you determine the best way to move forward.
Work with Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers
At Chalik & Chalik Injury Lawyers, our partners pride themselves on working directly with clients to provide honest, personal representation. Attorney Debi Chalik’s parents were impacted by a cruise ship coronavirus outbreak, and we have empathy for you if you have also been affected.
We understand that coronavirus affects everyone differently, and we are prepared to defend your legal right to fair compensation for the losses you incurred because of a cruise line’s negligence.
It is our position that it is unfair to expect victims to pay for the physical, emotional, and financial toll of COVID if they contracted the disease due to someone else’s wrongful actions. That’s why we will actively pursue justice and accountability against even the largest cruise lines. We aren’t afraid to aggressively negotiate on your behalf and will take your case all the way before a judge and jury, if necessary.
Contact our team today to discuss your case. One of our dedicated lawyers will evaluate your claim and help you decide whether a class action or personal injury lawsuit is in your best interests. We will hear your story and provide a personal assessment for your specific claim, so you can make an informed decision.