Five Tips to Avoid a Fort Lauderdale Fall Accident this Winter
Floridians are not used to getting snow, ice or even much frost; however, harsh winter conditions do transpire from time to time in the Sunshine State. When a winter weather environment like this occurs, Floridians generally do not know how to drive in these conditions - let alone walk in them.
So, how does someone walk safely on snow or ice during the winter months in order to prevent a slip and fall accident in Florida from occurring?
It is best recommended to stay out of a winter storm if possible, in order to minimize any type of accident or injuries; however, if you do have to run an errand, walk to the supermarket, or go to work, it is important to know how to walk when there is frost or ice on the sidewalk or road in order to minimize the risk of a Florida slip and fall injury.
Here are 5 tips for walking safely in winter weather conditions:
- Salt the walkways, or clear the walking areas of snow and ice.
- Wear the correct shoes, like snow boots with rubber treads or a pair of rubber over-shoes that fit over your normal shoes.
- Take your time when walking in icy conditions so that you have more time to react.
- Take small, short steps when walking in these conditions.
- If walking on the street, walk to the farthest right side and against the traffic to see potential hazards or cars that may have lost traction.
Sometimes slip and fall accidents occur due to a negligent property owner, city, business, or other party not taking care of their property. If you have been injured in a South Florida slip and fall accident due to another’s negligence, please call a knowledgeable Fort Lauderdale slip and fall attorney at Chalik & Chalik at (888) 539-5297 for a complimentary consultation today.